Class action suit against paypal

Lisha3
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone filed a class action suit against PayPal for keep their money? The customer service with PayPal is horrible, and PayPal owes me money.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20210222b 

You can start an individual law suit if you want to but others have spoken to lawyers who won't touch it as paypal are doing exactly what is agreed in their legal user agreement.

You may spend out a few thousand more in legal fees than what paypal have held though.

But you can't do a class action law suit anymore as per link.

https://www.theverge.com/2012/10/17/3511792/paypal-class-action-suit-ban

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
103 REPLIES 103

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Lisha3 

Sadly legally that is no longer possible, you would have to take your own private legal action.

https://www.theverge.com/2012/10/17/3511792/paypal-class-action-suit-ban

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

That article should be posted on this site in big letters. People encourage others to join a class action lawsuit and they jump in before investigating. 

I’d sue in Small Claims Court. PayPal might not send a representative across the country for a small amount of money. I can argue my case individually and not be lumped together with others. The filing fees are not substantial, usually around one hundred dollars, and you can request reimbursement for your fees. 

I have to file locally and I want my $30 back for an unauthorized purchase on my credit card. I wrote to the company CEO to avoid court and am waiting to hear from them. 

Login to Me Too

Lisha3
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dell14z I didn't think about small claims court. I live about 45 minutes from Paypal so they may send someone to court but I'm sure I have a strong case because they keep saying I owe them money for Items I sent back to the seller and I sent them proof that the seller received all of their items back. 

Login to Me Too

Dell14z
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

If you’re sure that you are right and they are wrong, it’s worth the filing fees to sue. Class action suits take time and you want your money back now.

Good luck!

Login to Me Too

dallassaf666
I'm a veteran and there holding my disability payments I have bills to pay
Login to Me Too

Allie092
They don't give a damn if we pay our bills or starve for that matter. They have caused me so much stress and hardship that my time I get my 1700 off of hold I will have to sue them for causing me ptsd.
Login to Me Too

Harymarris

LOOK for class act lawsuits regarding this.  Don't listen to those who say nothing will be done or you will only get a few dollars, if any.  I've joined class action lawsuits for credit card and mortgage companies that have done [removed] stuff and it has always paid off, though it may be a while.  I've received checks from $200 to $6500 every time one of the suits settled.  Many who suffered the same deception of fraud that I did got nothing because they believed they will get nothing.  But there is nothing wrong with standing up for yourself and not allowing yourself to get ripped off.  The only way you will ever get compensated is by not putting your tail between your legs and saying there is nothing you can do.  I've had a paypal business account for a while and and just began using it.  I transferred money from my personal paypal - which is a new account - to my business paypal.  They held $185 of the money until June 21, 2022.  NOT ACCEPTABLE!  The girl from paypal was very rude when I called to ask to have it released.  You can bet I will find every cotton picking paypal lawsuit out there and sign up.

Login to Me Too

Paho
Contributor
Contributor

If the charges were unauthorized that is fraud by banking standards.  call your Credit Card Company and report it as such.  They will dispute for you.

Login to Me Too

DisKatt
How did this turn out? I am about to file my claim. They want me to commit mail fraud before I get my refund.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.