American Coradius International Collection Scam?

Zapaeryan
Contributor
Contributor

I recently received a letter from a company called <Removed>  in regards to a $510 overdraft I have on an old paypal account. I found this very strange, as I had previously been informed by a paypal representative through a phone call that they wouldn't pursue a debt collector and that the debt wouldn't affect my credit score. The letter says that I have 30 days to pay off this debt or it will be put permanently on my record, and tells me to pay it through a site called <Removed>. I found it weird that it wasn't asking me to do this through paypal in any capacity, and upon further investigation, I'm starting to believe that this is a scam. here are a few reasons why:

Firstly, the site <Removed> isn't the site of ACI; it's <Removed>. That site even has it's own section to arrange payment.

Secondly, the letter claims that the company is based in Amherst, New York, but the letter seemed to have been sent from Boerne, Texas. I've encountered scams before and one of the textbook signs of them being fish is inconsistencies with addresses. That puts this letter under suspect.

In addition, there have been numerous forum posts on here mentioning letters like these seemingly from the same source with the same site attached, and most of them point to this as being part of the same scam. I'm starting to believe that's the case here as well, but since those posts also confirmed that <Removed> IS PayPals collection agency, I don't want to ignore this only for it to actually be legit.

Is there any way I can confirm that the letter I received is legitimate? Who should I contact to find out what I should do going forward? Because this whole thing is incredibly fishy, especially the fact that they don't want any of this to be done through paypal and that it doesn't mention anything about the debt or my account apart from the value of the overdraft, but I want to be 100% certain that this is a scam before I ignore it to avoid potentially serious consequences of being incorrect.

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

stevenskc
New Community Member

I received a letter today in the U.S. mail from American Coradius International saying they are a debt collector for PayPal and that I have 30 days to pay $297.00.  However, no answer at the phone number they list and the website is not valid.  This was a major red flag as I do not have a PayPal credit card account.  My account is linked to a credit card that pays PayPal immediately upon my purchase.  I have been unable to confirm with PayPal that this is a scam. With covid their staff is limited.  Hopefully PayPal will see that many people are getting these letters and write in the help center if it is a scam or what we can do if it is legitimate. Thank you.

Login to Me Too

kat621
Contributor
Contributor

I  just got a letter from these people and needless to say, I am glad I am not alone.  so, 2 different addresses.  I looked up the

Texas address, it is an empty field.  So, yes just another in the long list of scammers.  I will call on Monday and they will not like it.  I will

also be watching my credit report carefully.

Login to Me Too

TahjGFX
Contributor
Contributor

Hello were you ever able to confirm these people were legit?  What actions have you taken about the problem?  I am in same situation and just confused on what to do.  Just looking for some help before I do anything.

Login to Me Too

taylorpaige143
Contributor
Contributor

Hello! I received a letter the other day from this Company! I can confirm they are a legit Bill Collection Agency as I called and talked to PayPal Collections myself, they told me this is their 3rd party collector. Only I had no idea why I received a letter from a bill collector in regards to PayPal as all my accounts are 0 balance (personal, business and credit account). When speaking with PayPal fraud department I found out that I had my Identity stolen. This fraud account opened up a account in my name in 2020 and bought $1500 of stocks in March and left me with the bill... As for this 3rd Party Collection agency, American Coradius I spent 3 hours yesterday on hold just to try to talk to someone. No-one answered. I just wanted to let them know that this is fraud and PayPal opened up a investigation on it. I called the second number on their highly sketchy website and it just reads you the prompts over and over then it hangs up on you. Cant believe how frustrated I really would be if I actually needed to call within the 30 day window they give you to pay the bill.

Login to Me Too

tooner88
New Community Member
I just received one today 05/01/2021 Stating I owe 6,210.00 also said PayPal will settle for 4,657.51 this is ridiculous I haven't used my account in 5 years
Login to Me Too

Mrscateyes

Just got one too and my account is current?!

Login to Me Too

TahjGFX
Contributor
Contributor

Since then what have you done?  I am in the same situation just looking for some guidance.

Login to Me Too

TahjGFX
Contributor
Contributor

Hello were you ever able to confirm these people were legit?  What actions have you taken about the problem?  I am in same situation and just confused on what to do.

Login to Me Too

Poochy
New Community Member

Yes got same letter with same return address in texas.  I did not even remember having an account with paypal but apparently I did create one back in 2004 but never used it. Don't have any credit card associated with paypal.  They say I owe 128.50 but said paypal is willing accept a payment of $98.38 if I pay by 11/19/20 (note I received letter on 11/10/20 so only 9 days to pay!)  I checked my paypal account activity and found no activity ever! This seems like a total scam to me and I will file a compliant with  Better Buss bureau.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.