American Coradius International Collection Scam?

Zapaeryan
Contributor
Contributor

I recently received a letter from a company called <Removed>  in regards to a $510 overdraft I have on an old paypal account. I found this very strange, as I had previously been informed by a paypal representative through a phone call that they wouldn't pursue a debt collector and that the debt wouldn't affect my credit score. The letter says that I have 30 days to pay off this debt or it will be put permanently on my record, and tells me to pay it through a site called <Removed>. I found it weird that it wasn't asking me to do this through paypal in any capacity, and upon further investigation, I'm starting to believe that this is a scam. here are a few reasons why:

Firstly, the site <Removed> isn't the site of ACI; it's <Removed>. That site even has it's own section to arrange payment.

Secondly, the letter claims that the company is based in Amherst, New York, but the letter seemed to have been sent from Boerne, Texas. I've encountered scams before and one of the textbook signs of them being fish is inconsistencies with addresses. That puts this letter under suspect.

In addition, there have been numerous forum posts on here mentioning letters like these seemingly from the same source with the same site attached, and most of them point to this as being part of the same scam. I'm starting to believe that's the case here as well, but since those posts also confirmed that <Removed> IS PayPals collection agency, I don't want to ignore this only for it to actually be legit.

Is there any way I can confirm that the letter I received is legitimate? Who should I contact to find out what I should do going forward? Because this whole thing is incredibly fishy, especially the fact that they don't want any of this to be done through paypal and that it doesn't mention anything about the debt or my account apart from the value of the overdraft, but I want to be 100% certain that this is a scam before I ignore it to avoid potentially serious consequences of being incorrect.

Login to Me Too
27 REPLIES 27

TahjGFX
Contributor
Contributor

Hello what have you done since the time you posted this to fix your problem.  I am in the same situation and just would like some guidance on what to do before I take action.

Login to Me Too

Julieps23
New Community Member
I just received the same thing! Did any of you close your account?
Login to Me Too

TahjGFX
Contributor
Contributor

Hello what have you done since the problem I am looking for help considering I am going through the same thing now.  

Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Dang, you guys got it easy.  I just received a letter, too, only it's in the amount of $5,700!  😞

Login to Me Too

sbowen28
New Community Member

I got one for $4,228!  I hope people getting these are doing their home.

Login to Me Too

sixty50

I got one for $93.93

called their computers are down, call back

Login to Me Too

TahjGFX
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler
Question

Hello were you ever able to confirm if it was legit or what you should do?

Login to Me Too

Niknakg89
New Community Member
I got this too. Has anyone been able to talk directly to PayPal? I cannot seem to get a live person.
Login to Me Too

anthonyk2713
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone help me get to the bottom of this because I am dealing with this issue now too. This American Coradius International company sent me a letter that I owe $200.00 to Paypal, regarding a customer that bought a $200 gift card from me back in November on eBay. He purchased the card, I received the payment, and that was that. I haven’t been active on my Paypal account since December. I called the paypal customer service number, and it’s their actual number, the automated operator says American Coradius International is a partner company with Paypal. They transferred me to them. After a couple automated transfers I was transferred to a representative named Robin <removed>who took down my name. She asked why I was calling, I told her I have a negative balance of $200 in my Paypal account, which I checked and my Paypal account does show “-$200.00”, she asked if I have received a letter, I told her yes and that I haven’t been active on the account in awhile, she asked for my phone number, I gave it to her, then the line went dead. Could someone help?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.