"Friends and Family" was never mentioned or selected

ericf87
New Community Member

I purchased and item off ebay but paid through Paypal. Since I have discovered that the type of payment fell under 'friends and family' and there is no chance of getting the money back through Paypal.

After hearing this I felt really stupid, after all I was really careful when I made the transaction to look for "Friends and Family" anywhere to make sure I didn't mark the transaction as such. Seeing absolutely nothing about "Friends and Family", but only being asked to enter a description of the transaction I clearly stated it was a purchase on ebay.

I understand that making a transaction that is labelled as "friends and family" does not offer protection, but in none of the steps I made from logging in to making the transaction did I select a "friends and family" option. When I look at the transaction now it also says nothing about "friends and family" anywhere.

How come at no point during the transaction was I informed that there were 2 types of transactions I could chose from, all I had was a description to be filled in? How can I not file a dispute despite never having selected "Friends and Family"?

I can imagine that Paypal isn't happy about this either, because business transactions should obviously be labelled as such. Considering the entire nature of the transaction is fraudulent, shouldn't it be cancelled even after the fact?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ericf87 

If it was an ebay transaction then surely you would use ebay checkout?

If you didn't then how did you pay? Did you use the send money option OR did the seller send you a paypal.me link or invoice?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.