Pending payment

garywilliamson8
Contributor
Contributor
Ive sold something on my account and have a pending payment of £300 but have today been told by email the purchaser needs to put another £300 in my account to take the fee to £600 and I must first refund them £300. Is this a scam?
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

garywilliamson8
Contributor
Contributor
This is to move my account to business?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @garywilliamson8,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! What you've described is not normal PayPal practice. You should not have to send money to receive money. I would recommend against transacting with the person or business asking you to send them £300 as this sounds like a version of the Overpayment Scam. 

Good luck with your future transactions!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

garywilliamson8
Contributor
Contributor
I have already sent them goods to the value of £300 and that payment is pending but how do I get the funds?
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

@garywilliamson8, Thanks for getting back to us, I'm sorry to hear you've already sent an item without fully receiving the funds. While PayPal may Hold Funds from time to time, you will actually see a transaction in your account as a Payment Received. Did you get an email stating you've received funds? I would recommend double-checking that notification to make sure it was actually sent by PayPal. Here's how: How do I spot and report a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website?

If that notification is fake, I would recommend reaching out to the shipping company to see if you can intercept the package and have it sent back to you so you don't lose your item. 

Good luck,

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

garywilliamson8
Contributor
Contributor
I did get an email saying I had received funds but they have been showing as pending in the paypal app
Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

@garywilliamson8, I'd recommend reviewing that link above detailing how to make sure the email is actually from PayPal. I'd also recommend making sure the pending payment isn't an invoice they've sent you or you've sent them. 

If you're still unsure after reviewing those two details I'd recommend reaching out to our Customer Support teams by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page. 

Best wishes,

- Jon K

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.