Notification "You've received an invoice"

parbs
Contributor
Contributor

At 9:40 on 6 September Paypal sent me an email advising that "you've received and invoice for US$699.99" This statement was confirmed by Paypal customer service, it was not a phishing email. In this official message from Paypal it stated that "if you did not make this transaction please call us at toll free number [removed]. I did not authorize any such transaction and the number Paypal asked me to call was someone acting in collusion with the fraudulent seller. I have been a loyal /honest member of paypal since 2007 I am dumbfounded that Paypal are facilitating fraudulent sellers and fraudulent activities on Paypal. Why does Paypal allow any members to insert telephone numbers in their messages, Ebay never allowed sellers or buyers to insert telephone or address contact details in messages between sellers and buyers and vice versa, they can put there contact details on the invoice. When you receive an official email from Paypal you accept what is written and follow their instructions. Trying to get this sorted with Paypal customer service is very painful, it takes 11 minutes 39 seconds to get a customer service agent to answer the call , they have not been trained to deal with this situation and the first agent failed to escalate to Paypal a second attempt also failed to get escalation , it only happened when I requested to speak with a Supervisor.  The supervisor can not give me an answer as to why Paypal help to perpetuate/facilitate this type of fraudulent activity and further she was unable to inform when I would hear anything back from Paypal and when the fraudulent invoice would be removed from my Paypal as a pending invoice.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@parbs 

Anyone with your email address can send you a money request or invoice.

Scammers harvest email addresses and send money request or invoices to as many of those email addresses as possible in the hope that 'some' of them are linked to Paypal accounts and so show up on that account.

What message they put on them is up to them, so if they give you a phone number to call it could well be a scam, Paypal would not know what they put on that invoice.

As long as you don't pay it then not a problem and Paypal you to NEVER phone a number given to you but always go to help/contact on their website for the correct number.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.