Commitment Fee - FRAUD?

AliAlliyah
Contributor
Contributor

So I was in mid-transaction with someone sending me money, and he sent me a screenshot of the transaction just before he sent it and everything seemed okay (the screenshot seemed real, as the conversion from USD->GBP was correct ).

He then sent a PDF of the transaction, where everything seemed a little off as I've never seen a pdf receipt for Paypal.

The PDF was a bare-bones document with some bank details, a transaction ID some contact info and the following statement;

" The receiver need to upload £100 bitcoin for commitment fee to access payment in their PayPal account"

This is what made me nope out of this encounter as I've seen things like this... just not done in this way?Trans.check.jpgPP.jpg

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AliAlliyah 

SCAM.
You never pay any upfront fee as a seller.

Ignore scammers that send fake Paypal emails telling you that you need to pay an upfront fee to verify/upgrade/or any other reason to 'accept' a payment.

You would certainly never have to send funds via another payment processor/bitcoins/ or tokens/vouchers of any sort.

Any fee is auto deducted by Paypal at the same instant the remainder of the payment is credited to your Paypal account balance.

No funds in your balance = you have not yet been paid, even pending/held payments will still show in your Paypal account activity.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AliAlliyah 

SCAM.
You never pay any upfront fee as a seller.

Ignore scammers that send fake Paypal emails telling you that you need to pay an upfront fee to verify/upgrade/or any other reason to 'accept' a payment.

You would certainly never have to send funds via another payment processor/bitcoins/ or tokens/vouchers of any sort.

Any fee is auto deducted by Paypal at the same instant the remainder of the payment is credited to your Paypal account balance.

No funds in your balance = you have not yet been paid, even pending/held payments will still show in your Paypal account activity.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

AliAlliyah
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou for confirming my thoughts, Ive seen lots of Paypal scams but one that isn't as ' put together ' shall we say XD 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.