Cancelling order impossible!

SR666
Contributor
Contributor
I ordered something in error and immediately emailed the seller explaining I didn't realise the postage was going to be DOUBLE the cost of the item itself. No response to several messages. PayPal say there's nothing they can do but "extend patience" to the seller. This is a pre-order CD so if I just wait it will eventually get sent all the way from USA to UK. Surely PayPal can be more helpful.
Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SR666 

Paypal covers you for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described.

They don't cover you unfortunately for buyer remorse or changed mind.

The idea is that you read up on buyer protection and then risk assess your own transactions.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

SR666
Contributor
Contributor
It's not "buyer remorse or changed mind". It's an instance of genuine mistake where I didn't notice the massive postal charge and IMMEDIATELY messaged seller to cancel. They did not respond for DAYS so I asked PayPal to help. This has now gotten a response that they will not cancel - even though this is a pre-order that hasn't been shipped yet. PayPal say they will escalate the dispute.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SR666 

Sadly YOU didn't notice the charge so you went ahead and bought and then tried to cancel as YOU made a mistake.

Again Paypal may reach out to the seller to try and assist you in getting your funds back, but they don't have to as it was your mistake, not theirs.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SR666
Contributor
Contributor
I didn't say anyone HAS to do anything. I said I think it is totally unreasonable for a company not to cancel an order when the attempt at cancellation is made immediately after the order and it's for an item that isn't even available yet. Feel free to disagree.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@SR666 

Yep, ok I disagree.

You should read up on everything first before you go ahead and click to pay for something.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

SR666
Contributor
Contributor
Just to say nevertheless I have now received a refund after PayPal persisted on my behalf. Thanks.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.