Can I stop a payment made as a personal gift?

Quicktell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,
A couple of weeks ago, I had posted in a Facebook group, for owners of the model of car I drive, that I was looking for a couple of used components in good condition. Last night, someone I had never heard of previously answered my post by asking if I was still looking for them? I confirmed I was and he promised to send me photos of a pair he wished to sell.

This morning, I received his photos and they seemed acceptable for my needs so we negotiated a price. He then asked me to settle by PayPal which I did. However, I selected the option that protects buyers and he responded that he had refused my payment because PayPal would not let him access it until I received the items and he had no money for postage. So, I paid again using the option to pay a family member. He confirmed he had received the money and then ceased all conversation with me.

Naturally, I began looking closer at his FB profile which appears to have been created yesterday in the USA. The name displayed is not the one he gave me. He said he lived in France but doing a search for the name he provided for me to make the payment to, the person appears to be based in Africa although his French was perfect. Perhaps he is from Senegal or Tunisia?

Anyway, it is clearly fraud but, as the payment was to be debited from my bank account, is there any way I can stop that from happening?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Quicktell

Welcome! Thank you for joining the PayPal Community Forum. What you've described unfortunately does sound like a fraudulent seller. If you send the payment as Friends and Family, your best option may be to reach out to your bank to see what options are available. Here are a few resources you may find useful in the future: 

Does PayPal cover my purchase if there's a problem?
How do I spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website?
What are common scams and how do I spot them? (this is an article from the US, but still has alot of great info)

Good luck with your future transactions, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Quicktell

Welcome! Thank you for joining the PayPal Community Forum. What you've described unfortunately does sound like a fraudulent seller. If you send the payment as Friends and Family, your best option may be to reach out to your bank to see what options are available. Here are a few resources you may find useful in the future: 

Does PayPal cover my purchase if there's a problem?
How do I spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website?
What are common scams and how do I spot them? (this is an article from the US, but still has alot of great info)

Good luck with your future transactions, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.