Buyer filed chargeback on in-person private sale

Biggersbay
Contributor
Contributor

I had a MacBook listed on eBay and a local buyer DMed me and we agreed to meet for the sale in person and to use PayPal for the transaction for security on both sides (biggest mistake ever as PayPal protect buyers only).

We met at a local cafe and the buyer transferred the funds to my PayPal as a purchase transaction.

Now after a month the buyer filed a chargeback with his banking institution and my PayPal account is in negative, fortunately I already withdrew the money from the sale to my bank account. 

The buyer is claiming he never received the laptop and since this was an in-person sale there is no proof I can provide for this, I explained the situation to PayPal and also filed a fraud report with Police online. However it seems like nothing is going to happen despite my efforts, the buyer is going to get away with this scam, and his eBay account is still active. btw I have the buyer full name and address but can't really do much with it as If I plan to go there he will probably call police on me. 

How can PayPal allow this? there is evidence on both sides with messages that this was an in-person sale and the laptop was handed in person.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Biggersbay 

Seller protection does not cover in-person transactions unless buyer paid with goods and services QR code in-person.

Ineligible Items and Transactions—”Physical, tangible items delivered in person, including in connection with a payment made in your physical store, unless the buyer paid for the transaction in person using PayPal’s goods and services QR code.”

There are ways a buyer or seller can take advantage of the limitations of the protections. PayPal doesn’t cover all transactions/scenarios. It is your responsibility to read & understand terms of the PayPal Seller Protection Program to see if PayPal is even appropriate to use for your transaction.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Biggersbay
Contributor
Contributor

Ok Its my fault as I did not read the terms and conditions of seller protection.

What am I supposed to do with my negative balance account now? I'm not repaying the balance as the buyer is a scammer and got away with it.

Hopefully since I filed a fraud claim with police they will get involved and maybe can get PayPal to restore balance to 0

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.