Beware: Gumtree Scam

Kagu
New Community Member

Just to let you know, the scam is still going. Yesterday, I received two messages in Facebook from people who asked me to send email to their relatives, who were interested in buying my item. I did so, and I received two identical answers: Thank you for getting back to me. Can you assure me that i will not be disappointed with it. I'm ready to pay your asking price, I'm buying this for my daughter. But I just want you to assure me very well on this and the issue is that I'm very busy for now and am not around but i have a pick up agent coming for the pick up after the payment has been made to you and he will be present for all necessary thing that is needed. Due to my job, there is strictly no call that is why i ask my sister to send you an email our satellite server has been down due to work. But I'm able to access my mail anytime as i will make use of wireless laptop. I have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it My Mode of payment is via PayPal as i don't have access to my bank account online, but i have it attached to my PayPal account and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay. I will be responsible for all the PayPal fee/charges on this transaction , if you don't have an account with PayPal, it's pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to www.paypal.co.uk ,so i hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible. I have a mover that will be coming for the pick up once payment clears and they will be handling the title for me. So i look forward to hear from you soon. Kindly get back to me with your Full Name: PayPal E-Mail Address: Firm price: Phone Number Thank you! I searched on Google and found a couple of news about this scam. As mentioned above, the scammer never pays. They either send you a money request (so you pay them) or send you a forged email saying that you already paid and ask you for their money back. At least, the email is so nonsensical that raised red flags from the first moment.

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

Ashj17

I have just dealt with this exact scenario aswell! Word for word, they then went on to say their 'pickup agent'  can only be paid in Steam Gift vouchers... and your money won't be released from 'escrow' until photos of the vouchers have been sent. I haven't responded to their last email but they keep emailing me to see if I got 'PayPal's' last email. So sneaky!

Login to Me Too

DJ1405
New Community Member

It is now 2022 and I have had very similar - but it was the son she was buying for - apparently - and it was a sideboard.  I have gone back to her asking for location.  I used a work email address that is about to be deleted, thankfully!

Login to Me Too

Sam999111
Still happening!!! And like others I was almost caught out. Such **bleep**.
Login to Me Too

JohnnyH2
New Community Member
Same as me today. Wanted to buy a bike from me. Said they were having trouble with adding an iCloud address for payment. Were going to send a courier for pick up as they were disabled.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@JohnnyH2 

Scams been ongoing for about 15 years !!

They send fake paypal emails saying you have to pay the courier on behalf of the buyer (via an unsafe payment processor with no protection to get it back again), they are not interested in the item they just want that couriers fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Kripke1960
Contributor
Contributor

I bought an item on Gumtree and sent payment by PayPal (goods & services). The item never arrived and the seller is not responding to messages via Gumtree. Also when I click on the link to message the seller's name in Paypal it says "You're unable to send this user a message"

Can I get my money back from Paypal? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Kripke1960
Contributor
Contributor
 Hi, I've been through Resolution Centre and got this very unsatisfactory response - 

Case Status:Closed

Thank you for reporting this case. After our review, we found that certain transactions weren't unauthorised and hence weren't eligible for Buyer Protection.

There's no explanation as to what it means by "certain transactions weren't authorised".

I purchased an item and paid the seller by Paypal. They have then failed to send the item. I am out of pocket. What does it mean that the transaction wasn't authorised?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kripke1960 

A dispute for an unauthorised transaction is telling paypal that your account was hacked and used without your consent to make that transaction.
Paypal would check IP addresses and devices and close the dispute if it was you that made the transaction.

So why didn't you open a dispute for non receipt of item to get your refund?

You are only allowed 1 dispute per transaction so the only way you can get a second dispute opened is to contact Paypal and see if they will open a second dispute for you.

If not then if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then consider contacting your card issuer and see if they will help you with a chargeback?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.