Integrating PayPal: weirdness with PayPal's GET Request post-purchase

wls1
Contributor
Contributor

Backstory:  I'm using the PayPal SANDBOX mode with a PayPal generated button.  It seems that everything at my end is working:

• The user selects items from the PayPal button, and presses SUBMIT.
  • The user is taken to the PayPal SANDBOX, where they login with the SANDBOX Personal ID, and confirm the purchase.  (Even the transaction appears completed in the SANDBOX Merchant).
  • Upon completion of the transaction, PayPal SANDBOX returns to the merchant link described in the PayPal Button.
  • The form there looks at the tx field passed to it via the GET request, it POSTs a request to https://www.sandbox.paypal.com/cga-bin/webscr with the PayPal Identity token, gets a reply with all the transaction details, and does the database saving / email / user presentation based on it.

...in short, I can do an end-to-end without any problem.

EXCEPT...

paypal.png

If the user is impatient and clicks on the "If you're not redirected to John Doe's Test Store in ten seconds, click here." link, then PayPal redirects back to the right page, put only sends the ?PayerID= field.

If the user simply lets the page time out, it correctly sends the ?PayerID= field, along with the status (st=), transaction id (tx=), currency (cc=), and amount (amt=).  And, specifically, it's the transaction id that I need so I can ...well, go look up the transaction.

The PayerID isn't enough; conceivably a payer could have multiple transactions.  Without all the information passed to me, I don't even know a transaction has happened and there's money sitting in the account.

Is this a bug with PayPal?  Is it localized to just its SANDBOX?  Or is there some part of the workflow I'm missing?  Help.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

wls1
Contributor
Contributor

Following up for others that may land here.

• PayPal did confirm this was a bug at their end.
  • PayPal was able to reproduce the problem as described.
  • It took two attempts, but PayPal corrected the issue.  (Thank you PayPal)

Login to Me Too

Doohan2023
Contributor
Contributor

This bug is not fixed ! It is exactly the same now: if we click on the link to return to the merchant site, there is no params Get neither Post: nothing ! If we dont click and wait for the countdown and auto redirection all is ok.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.