PayPal needs to amend 1099-K Form with Correct EIN and send to IRS!

nadzkadz
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, 

The business' 1099-K form for 2018 is incorrect because apparently PayPal wants me to get in trouble with the IRS. They have put my personal SSN on the form that they sent to the IRS, instead of the Business' EIN number. I had the same issue for 2017 and PayPal resolved it for me by amending the form and I had to send IRS a letter. However, they have done it again for 2018! I am not the business owner, just the financial manager. I cannot reach them via phone or messaging. Does anyone have a contact email address that I can use to resolve this URGENT matter?

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

Did you end up getting a response from the Tax Operations Team yet? It has been 10 days for me and nothing yet. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

illinoistax
Contributor
Contributor

No response yet from Tax Operations Team

Login to Me Too

aperl123
Contributor
Contributor

By the way @mark2424 if for some reason you can't get this straightened out with PayPal because the 1099-k was issued in your personal name and SSN and not your business you can always send your business a 1099-misc from yourself personally. You would just fill out a 1099-misc showing income going for you personally to your C-Corp, S-Corp or LLC and the proper EIN. This is called a reporting nominee income. You would include the amount from the 1099-k on your personal taxes and show that the amount was sent to your business under schedule c expenses thus removing it from your personal income. 

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you lots I really appreciate your insight and help! @aperl123 

Login to Me Too

aperl123
Contributor
Contributor

@mark2424 No, never heard back. They have until the end of February to send the IRS their completed forms. 

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

That's unfortunate I am sorry to hear. When did you even submit a ticket. I submit mine 10 days ago and no response this was to the Tax Operations Team. It is just so strange, Stripe switched mine in 1 day with no issue. 

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

@aperl123 

Hey just wanted to leave you an update on my situation so maybe it could help you out.

I got a message today in the message center from I believe the Tax Operations team (11 days after I opened a message in the message center)

"We've received your request to update your 2020 1099-K Form to include your Employer Identification Number (EIN) and Legal Business Name"

They asked me to send a w-9 form their tax document email account. So hopefully they are one step closer to fix this issue.

Login to Me Too

illinoistax
Contributor
Contributor

@mark2424  

@aperl123 

PayPal's customer service on this has been beyond horrible.  I've spent so many hours on the phone.  I finally got an email two days ago from their Executive Escalation team saying I'd get a corrected one in the US mail in two weeks.  So assuming they actually send it by then it will have taken them five weeks, numerous phone calls, and two open cases to correct their error.

Login to Me Too

mark2424
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate you letting me know. Still going through the situation myself. Right now the message center has been the most promising for me, as they had me send in documents to their tax documents email.

I am glad you got it escalated to the Executive Escalation, how did you even get into contact with them? I guess I will try that out soon. Thank you lots!

Also you said you are going to get it in the mail, are they also going to update your online one, and amend the old one? So your incorrect one also does not get sent to the IRS.

@illinoistax 

Login to Me Too

lasersnakeemp
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar issue  because I incorrectly put down the wrong EIN since I looked at an old tax form and put down the filer's number instead of my own. I can't get connected to a real person on the phone (I keep getting a message that tells me that they cannot handle the inquiry over the phone at this time.) My last support message got an auto-reply about 1099-K and auto-closed. Really frustrating 😕

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.