Quicken Web Connect

RandyS
Contributor
Contributor

For the laqst several years Quicken has only accepted Web Connect as its format to download transactions.  They haven't accepted the .qif for several versions so any of us that have the newer versions can't download into our quicken program.  Anyway you'll can frix the problem?

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

ProfQuill
Contributor
Contributor

(ignore this, I edited the original post, can't delete a message entirely?)

Login to Me Too

tactician
Contributor
Contributor

the process i use for getting mine working again is a little different from the poster above, however this is the solution that works for me you may  want to tryt this way

*Backup your current quicken data

*go to the edit accounts page and completely delete the paypal account from quicken

*restart Quicken

*go to the add accounts and re-add your paypal, it will once again show up correctly as checking

*delete all the transaction data quicken downloads from paypal uon adding it as a new account

*restore from your backup data

*voila! once again everything is right in the world of quicken and paypal

quite annoying process but i have found myself doing it every couple of months since quicken 2009, calling quicken will do no good, they will say it is paypal, and calling paypal is also fruitless they will say its quicken, so we as users are left to find whatever solution we can to make it work ourselves, this is what works for me, this is by no means a guaranteed method to fix your messed up paypal in quicken, this is simply the method that worls for me

Login to Me Too

mtracht
Contributor
Contributor

@ProfQuill - I am having the same issue where Deposits are showing up as Payments. This is new since it's been working fine for over a year. If I'm not mistaken, it happened after the most recent Quicken update (I did not move to 2011). PP and Quicken are already pointing the finger at each other, so I don't suspect there will be a resolution anytime soon:

https://qlc.intuit.com/post/show_full/dQlugw6Eur3668acfArQA8?p=45&q=download+bank+information&s=5

As you can see on the Quicken board, they think it's a PP issue. Not sure what to do...

Login to Me Too

ProfQuill
Contributor
Contributor

I've followed your link to the Quicken board (I'm also the old Professor there) and followed the discussion.  Here is a snip from my latest  OFX log, and I think it is pretty clear that this has to be a PayPal problem.  Notice the two transactions, both of them marked as a DEBIT of a negative amount.  The $3 is supposed to be a deposit, the $6.70 a payment, obviously both can't be right, there's no way, from this data, that Quicken would be able to tell the difference.
<BANKTRANLIST>
<DTSTART>20101117
<DTEND>20101122
<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
<DTPOSTED>20101122
<DTUSER>20101122
<TRNAMT>-3
<FITID>20101122PaymentFromPanelPayment-3.00
<NAME>Payment Panel Payment
</STMTTRN>
<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
<DTPOSTED>20101117
<DTUSER>20101117
<TRNAMT>-6.7
<FITID>20101117PaymentToestoreoutwest.com-6.70
<NAME>Payment estoreoutwest.com
</STMTTRN>
</BANKTRANLIST>

For grins, one other problem I've mentioned, where a one-step-update somehow doesn't (always?) capture PayPal transactions, but a specific 'update now' within the account DOES, well this time the OSU worked fine (other than the credit/debit issue).  Other times I've noticed that even the specific Update Now doesn't work, I see errors in the OFX file, and after restarting Quicken, then it does.  So perhaps it's just an intermittent flake and not really relevant HOW the update is done; actually that would make more sense.  PayPal or Quicken problem, on that I have no good theory.

Login to Me Too

mtracht
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that explanation. My opinion, though not technical, is that the problem is with the new Quicken. Many of us have been up and running fine for over a year and the Paypal deposit-as-payment issue just started with the Quicken updates a few weeks ago.

My guess is we need someone who did not install the quicken updates, and if the new errors don't occur, then we know it's Quicken.

Login to Me Too

ProfQuill
Contributor
Contributor

I also agree that I pretty well noticed the problem after installing Q2011, yet by looking at that OFX log, the 'payment' and 'deposit' transactions are identical.  Is it just a coincidence?  Is it possible that PayPal sends different data depending on what version of Quicken you are using (by some data in the request)?  Even if so, it would still be a PayPal problem, no?

Just maybe I can scrounge up some of my old Q2009 OFX logs, see how said data looks in there, but don't hold your breath for me to go thru quite that much trouble  Smiley Surprised .

Yes, it'd be useful for an earlier Quicken user to report their current experience.

Login to Me Too

candyt3
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal exports PDF, spreadsheets and QIF. Quicken 2010 will NOT import a QIF file into a checking, savings or other financial account. In other words, you can do a QIF import BUT your PayPal account WILL NOT show up as the account to import into. In fact, none of my accounts show up in the "Import to" list. PayPal does not offer a QFX export. ***BANGS HEAD***

Login to Me Too

jaykay109
New Community Member

Hi everybody,

I've been having the same problem with PayPal in Quicken, where it stops downloading from One Step Update randomly, and then requires some sort of user intervention in order to start working again. (I'm also having issues with PayPal transactions downloading as debits instead of credits, but that's a whole other story that I haven't figured out yet.) 

Anyway, I've had a spot of luck with a particular technique, and I wanted to share this with the community here in case it's of consequence.

After removing the PayPal account's One Step Update functionality, one has to delete their PayPal username from the "Account Number" field in the Account Details window. That then frees up that account to be reactivated. It's a bit easier than creating a new account. But I'm still having trouble after that point... Quicken still refuses to download transactions, claiming that PayPal's site is down and that I should try again later.

Oh well...

***UPDATE***

Scratch that, it worked! It's downloaded all the transactions into the existing PayPal account in Quicken. Looks like deleting the username was the fix. Let me know if that works for anybody here.

Login to Me Too

elijah8
Contributor
Contributor

Keep contacting Quicken. Eventually they will work with you. Working on it again after about the 10th contact.

Login to Me Too

mcollins
Contributor
Contributor

i too have found it impossible to reconnect to one step update after deleting. I have not tried deleting the username. I did however spend 2 hours on Quicken Chat and another 45m on Quicken phone help. They finally determined, after restoring two backups and doing 3 validations that the problem may be on their end., I sent them log files and was told by quicken 7-10 days to get an answer. I will keep you all posted.

Of course, this issue is about not being able to reconnect to quickn osu with paypal. THe original REASON that I deleted the paypal OSU was duplicate payments and credits showing up as debits...btw, HOme and Biz 2009 R7

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.