Quicken Web Connect

RandyS
Contributor
Contributor

For the laqst several years Quicken has only accepted Web Connect as its format to download transactions.  They haven't accepted the .qif for several versions so any of us that have the newer versions can't download into our quicken program.  Anyway you'll can frix the problem?

Login to Me Too
119 REPLIES 119

vanduse1
New Community Member

Yes, it doesn't work.  It keeps saying it does not recommend my userid and password.  I have setup the account with online access as well.  I use my email address as my userid on the website and perhaps it is looking for a differnent ID when logging in via Quicken?

Login to Me Too

egoldy
Contributor
Contributor

As an FYI - I could NEVER get this to work.

I also have to say again that Paypal credit card support could be the worst support ever created on the planet.

I need to dump this card - the people are a joke.

Login to Me Too

mcollins
Contributor
Contributor

I started experiencing the same problems after the Quicken UPdate. I have tried turning off Online Setup, after finding duplicates and debits showing up as credits!. Now I can not reestablish the sign in from quicken. Please post here if you have the same issue. Not only does 'Misery" love company, the Company(ies) both need to work together to solve this misery. 

Login to Me Too

KGP
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. EVERYTHING showing up as a "payment" with the exception of dividend payment and fees for refunds.

Not only that... but as someone else stated, extremely annoying that the fees paid to paypal are included as one with the payment. Will take me forever to break them out seperately for tax purposes.

Login to Me Too

dragonfairy1999
New Community Member

Ok, so, Paypal was importing for me in Quicken '11 (latest update) with zero issues until today. Now, when it downloads my Paypal and Paypal Quick Connect Credit Card, it COMBINES both statements and **bleep**s EVERYTHING up. There are a ton of transactions that are Paypal only and they are showing up on my Paypal QC card account. WHY? the two are NOT related other than through Paypal. I tried a brand new clean setup and even when it's the only account I've setup, it does the same thing. Any thoughts?

Login to Me Too

mcollins
Contributor
Contributor

I have been working on reconnecting my Quicken web connect with PayPal for over 6 weeks now. Today, I received an email from Quicken saying the problem was that PayPal was saying ":"History information is currently unavailable". 

I was glad to get some definitive info from Intuit. I called PayPal, now the issue seemed squarely in their court. The first support tech I spoke with mentioned that my paypal account had a security flag set disallowing access. He reset that flag and I was still unable to download. I lost the call and called back and the 2nd tech support rep explained that Quicken may have once worked but it no longer does. And PayPal does not support download into Quicken. I will paste the PayPal email below. So, where do you think this leaves us?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

PayPal email to me:

Hello my name is Beth, and I want to thank you for your call today. I

did some more research on your request today with my supervisor to
figure out a work around for this issue for right now. Here is the
information I have found. Basically you can download your history from
PayPal into a file that would be compatible with Quicken or Quick books,
but there's no reason or not a way for them to directly link and
communicate with PayPal. It's possible that was supported in the past,
but is no longer a possibility. You can download a history report though
and input that into your quicken by following the instructions below. I
hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions at

Here’s how to see your transaction history:

1. Log in to your PayPal account.
  2. Click “History.”

To see your most recent activity or find a specific transaction, click
the links near the top of the page.

You can download your transaction history into Quicken, QuickBooks, or
into a spreadsheet application. From the 'History' page, you can
download your account's History log:

1. Click "Download History," which appears in the "More" drop-down
list.
  2. Choose the date range of transactions you'd like to download and
select the file type you want to save your History as.
  3. Click "Download History."

If you have a Premier or Business account, you can choose which
information to include in your transaction history log. Here’s how to
customize your transaction history log:

1. Click “Download History,” from the “More” drop-down list.
  2. Click “Customize Download Fields (not available for PDF)”
  3. Click the information you want to download, then click “Save.”

Note:

* When downloading a large History Log, you may experience a delay.
   * We will email you when your file is ready to be downloaded.
   * When it is ready you can view the file by clicking 'Recently
Downloaded Logs' on the 'Download History' page.
   * We save the last 3 most recently completed, large History Log
files.
   * Small logs are downloaded immediately and are not saved.

Got more questions? You'll find answers at our improved Help Center.
Click "Help" in the top right corner of any PayPal page to get started!

Sincerely,
Beth
PayPal Customer Solutions
PayPal, an eBay Company

Login to Me Too

BrianCox
Contributor
Contributor

well i find the paypal level 1 rep dont  know crap... why was it working just fine for a year

and why would quicken say on there site works with paypal. with the new upgrade.. they dont support the downloading format on paypal..  

"Quicken now automatically downloads your transactions
from over 12,000 banks, brokerages, and other financial institutions — including PayPal.

i am going to keep applying pressure!  and if this is truth quicken should be sued for false ads! 

Login to Me Too

mtracht
Contributor
Contributor

I've been having the same issues. According to Paypal:

Quicken uses a "screen scrape" to grab transactions data from your PayPal account. Although their method is one option as a work around for retrieving data it will cause issues like that of the error you are seeing because through a screen scrape Quicken essentially logs in to your PayPal account and "views" your transactions on the screen just like a person would, and any change to the PayPal website and it basically forgets how to view it. This is because where a human may look past a new banner, or change in the layout of a page such as a moved link or field, a program can not and can fail in this way. The result is that every time PayPal moves a link or changes anything on PayPal's website, Quicken will need to update their code so that it understands how to view the changes, and read the transaction information again. As this can occur frequently, they would want to use the PayPal APIs to retrieve this information if possible. Either of these (updating their code or switching to use APIs) is up to Quicken to update their software as they are not supported in any way by PayPal and we do not have access to their code to make changes for them on this issue.

Sincerely,
Justin
Merchant Technical Services
PayPal, an eBay Company

--------

So then I emailed Quicken, and they suggested,

I would like to inform that if Paypal make any changes on their Bank's website, Quicken will need to update their code so that it understands how to view the changes, and read the transaction information again.

For this you would require to update your Quicken again for the Financial Institutions on a timely basis.

Whenever, your Bank's make any changes on their Server's end, you can use the following steps to reflect the change while working in Quicken :-

Title: How do I refresh my financial institution information in Quicken?
Link: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/buying-and-billing/about-quicken/2441.html

If you still have any issue, you can try the steps below. You would need to deactivate account and reactivate account again.

Note: Please accept the downloaded transactions and cancel the pending online payments, if any, before following the steps.

1. Open Quicken and go to the Tools menu >> Account List.
2. Highlight the account in question and click on the “Edit Details” button.
3. Please click on the “Online Services” tab, present on the top, left corner of the new window.
4. Click on the “Remove from one step update” button.
5. Click on Yes when it asks for the confirmation.
6. Click on OK if it prompts to contact the financial institution to cancel the service.
7. It should say “This is a manual account” under the One Step Update section if the account was successfully deactivated.
8. Click on the “Activate One Step Update’ button and use the ID/password to activate the account.

> Please go to the account register in question and pull down "Account Actions" >> "Update Now" from the top left corner of the register.

Note: Please make sure you are on the latest release of Quicekn 2010. Check the release of Quicken 2010 from Help >> About Quicken. If it is not R10, please manually update your Quicken as per the steps in the link below :-
Link: http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/using-quicken/patches-and-updates/7568.html

----------------------------------------------------

Which didn't work...so the last email I got said to call Quicken. Haven't had the patience to call India (or wherever) they are yet.

I wish Paypal would STOP CHANGING THEIR SITE until they actually work with Quicken....the changes add absolutely no value and only hurt those of us using Quicken.

----------

Login to Me Too

mcollins
Contributor
Contributor

Your experience and explanation seems to make good sense. It explains the sporadic nature of things that have been described in this thread. I have sent the PayPal email I received to Quicken and expect to hear back from them. In the meantime, I will try to remove again from autoupdate as described...although I have tried this numerous times without success. I have not tried since Quicken's lates patch to Q2011.

Login to Me Too

BrianCox
Contributor
Contributor

i just got a email from quicken i have submitted it to paypal 2

Dear Brian Cox,

Thank you for contacting Quicken Customer Care. 

We're sorry to inform you that we are unable to support your accounts because we are receiving the following message "History Search is currently unavailable. Please try again later" from PayPal website when trying to login to the site. 

Sincerely,

Quicken Customer Care

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.