Refund time from after the status is "Complete"?

VippidyP
New Community Member

So, paid for something via PayPal, which is linked to my debit card. Eventually it got refunded, and the refund status on my PayPal statement is complete.
I've heard that it can take around 30 days until I actually have the money? Is this true in this case? If so, why? Surly if the refund has been "done" that money is mine now, so what's "happening" to it?
I'm not typically very impatient, and I understand it has to be checked and whatnot, but when it seems like an intricate series of hot air balloons and gold ingots would be a faster way of getting my money back to me, I do have to question it, aha. Smiley Surprised

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VippidyP

Paypal state 'allow' up to 30 days, however I have never waited longer than a week.

I had an Ebay refund last week and it hit my credit card statement in 4 days.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

VippidyP
New Community Member

Okay, thanks, that's reassuring! Smiley Happy
That said, this is not a question as born of frustration as it may seem, I am genuinely just curious as to what prevents this from being an instant, digital transfer. They have the money from the seller (presumably?) and they have confirmed the original order that was linked to it. Beyond that, surely these are just numbers on computers? What else needs to "happen"? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@VippidyP

Well i get refunds from other business where i have bought online and they show as pending in my c.c. statement for a few days until it clears.

No idea what the hold up is but as long as i get the money pretty quickly I don't mind  Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.