Need to refund, but dont understand fees

happymittens
Contributor
Contributor

I hope someone can help! I have just sold a bike and asked the buyer to pay in cash. Unfortunately he accidentally paid by paypal whilst trying to tell ebay he was going to pay in cash. I want to refund him, but paypal mentions this, when i go to refund:

When you refund a payment for goods or services, we contribute the variable portion of the original transaction fee to the refund, and we keep the fixed-fee portion of that fee from your account. For more details, refer to the page How do PayPal refunds work? or the section that discusses fees in the User Agreement.

I've tried both links and they are no help. What will i get back, and what will they keep? The bike sold for £465 and paypal took £25.31 from that. 

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@happymittens

When a buyer pays you are charged 3.4% + 20p per transaction.

If you use the 'refund' option (and make sure you do that and not send money) then the % part is refunded but paypal keep the 20p as a processing fee for the original payment and the refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@happymittens

When a buyer pays you are charged 3.4% + 20p per transaction.

If you use the 'refund' option (and make sure you do that and not send money) then the % part is refunded but paypal keep the 20p as a processing fee for the original payment and the refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.