I can't send a refund when my account funds are on hold

An item I sold eBay apparently got lost/stolen in the mail, so the buyer opened a case (on eBay, not PayPal) and the amount that the item was worth (355) was put on hold on my PayPal account. So now my balance is negative 350 and it won't be reimbursed until I can refund the buyer. But I can't refund the buyer because my account funds are on hold. In order to refund the buyer, I'd have to put over 700 in my account, and the item was only worth half of that. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to resolve it?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

AmyLo-AAUW
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I have a sort-of similar question:  how does my organization do a refund, when I realize someone paid us twice, by mistake?   (We're fairly new to using PayPal to receive money, and we've never had to deal with sending money in the other direction before.)  -- Amy of AAUW

Login to Me Too

Remo
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similiar issue on ebay with a $350 item.

I was in negative balance because of money that was on hold.

I simply refunded the persons money, through eBay.

The money that was on hold was sent back to him.

(Goto my eBay >Summary>Sold items> Look for item that was sold> Click "Take action" under item>Click continue, etc> then Issue a full refund)

No additional funds were taken out.

Hope that helps.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.