So transaction emails now come from service at paypal.com instead of the buyer's email

hepafilter
Contributor
Contributor

Please. please, please change it back, or at least make it so if I reply, it goes to the buyer's email. This has really **bleep**ed up my method.

Login to Me Too
64 REPLIES 64

sayroar
Contributor
Contributor

Is there also no way to have the subject line read "Notification of payment received from [buyer's email address]"? This would help with people who sort in Outlook (such as myself) and would probably help with the Gmail's stacking problem as well.

Login to Me Too

moomaus
Contributor
Contributor

Let me chirp in with my own post that I just started before I realized I wasn't alone and a post regarding this subject already existed.  I joined this board FOR THIS REASON ONLY as normally, I'm a kick back, lay back, take things in stride kind of individual but this totally put the cherry on my cheesecake.  I'm so done with everything about online selling; the price gauging, the "making things easier" when they are working perfectly fine as things are only to create more nightmares; the customer's always right attitude of eBay and PayPal, etc. that I'm about to take down my shingle.  Well folks, we are customers too right!  So keep those complaints coming....the squeaky wheel gets oiled.  Here's my own post.

Please, please, please change it back so that when I replied to an INP received, it would go to the BUYER and NOT PAYPAL.  I have just spent hours typing manual subject lines so buyer's know why I am even writing them....as a courtesy to let them know I received their payment.  It's helpful to buyers too when the reply contains a copy of their payment invoice readily identifying the product, the seller, and how much they paid.  This whole thing was supposed to be easy and not time consuming....NOT!!!!!  And to just change without even notifying anyone is absurd.  I know I'm a little fish in your big pond but maybe, just maybe, if we get a school of fish together, your pond will be a swirling mess!!!!!!  CHANGE IT BACK NOW....PLEASE!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi rjcalnan,

Please keep in mind also that email is an unreliable method for receiving instructions for order fulfillment. There are a few reasons for this.

For one thing, fraudsters can mimic emails. You've already established that your email server allows one domain to send email and allow it to appear to have come from another. If a fraudster sends a convincing email with instructions to send a product to a certain address, is there a potential that your order fulfillment process will cause you to send a product for which no transaction exists? Changing your order fulfillment process can remove the possibility of exploitation of an unsecure process.

Also, email delivery relies on the activities of two (or potentially more) email servers. If an error occurs on any of those servers, delivery of the email is not assured.

Instant Payment Notification is the ideal solution to both problems. The information is securely transmitted. If there is an impediment to the receipt of the information, our system knows it was not received and the transfer is repeated.

Instant Payment Notification is entirely free. There are free solutions for mail responders available online if you do a little web searching. I'm afraid that I am unable to recommend one over another. Many third party shopping carts function with IPN as well. There is a guide to getting started linked from the Instant Payment Notification landing page, as well as samples of code to use on your server.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

khurasanminis
Contributor
Contributor

Changes that are necessary for a vast number of customers can sometimes cause unforeseen inconvenience

I find it very hard to believe that the changes were necessary for a vast number of customers.  Were that the case this board would be filled with e-mails complaining about the existing protocol.

Login to Me Too

TekGems
Contributor
Contributor

IPN is about as reliable as e-mail. I used it for several years and PayPal site was not always working right to get all the data. Email or IPN, there will be incomplete transaction information.

Login to Me Too

digitalsends
Contributor
Contributor

You're exactly right.

And, any seller who wants to directly say something to his buyer, WILL do it, even by putting material in his package.

Paypal processes payments not only for eBay but also for independent websites, and is **bleep**ing them in order to obey eBay.

By the way, in a recent survey, eBay was asking if we'd allow eBay to SCAN OUR PERSONAL PRIVATE EMAILS to find communications with buyers and put them in My eBay's Messages!!!!!!!  

Login to Me Too

chrismu
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry Olivia,

that comes more and more STANDARD PayPal Phrases.......

nothing else.... IF PayPal REALLY care about its merchants..it would DO what they are looking for.

AND WE as your Merchands.. DEMAND to have that option... is that clear enough?

thx

chris

Login to Me Too

coverbuttons
Contributor
Contributor

seems to me that some clever programmer could make a lot of money if they did what paypal should do.  I guess we need a prebuilt program for non programmers that will interface with the IPN and send an email with the information required. 

I just spent some time looking at the IPN pdf file and gee if I was a web programmer why would I be paying paypal for a simple answer to sell products on line.  If I had a web programming staff I certainly would not be using paypal.

Login to Me Too

hugostiglitz
Contributor
Contributor

The people who were not reliably getting emails have the option to switch email services. Those of us who are affected by 'the fix' don't have any options to correct the new harships suddenly inflicted on us. 

Login to Me Too

KiwiNicky

If you are a Mac user and were previously responding to the 'Notification of Payment Received' email with an Automated reply message using Mail Rules, then this may help you.

Today we created an AppleScript to extract the buyers email address from the incoming email message and generate an automated outgoing email to that address.  This script is run by Mail Rules.  Details here if you are a Mac user and would like the code: http://bee-software.net/blog/handling-changes-to-paypal-notification-of-payment-received-emails/

It's very basic, but it gets the job done and means we can respond instantly to our customers.  Hopefully may be of some help to someone out there!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.