Receiving money with an South African account

ImBack
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, since my last post was removed, and my account banned... I will behave this time.

My question is a valid one though.

As a South African, I would like to be able to register a paypal account and also get payments in for 3D items that I design for people.

However, until now, I have had to rely on friends in the US taking the payment for me and then sending the money to the country. (which takes time, alot of costs, and is rather risky, since what stops the friend from running off with the money, etc)

Basically, this is a friendly request to please ask paypal management to remove the ristriction on South African accounts.

I am tired of being treated as a sub-standard internet users, just because by a geographic lottery I was born in South Africa.

The past four years I have been nagging and asking and it seems paypal just doesn't care or want to remove the lift in South Africa?

Its also alarming that a company like paypal doesnt see the business potential in a country that is about to host a really big would wide event... the fifa soccer world cup!!!

At first, I was lead to believe that the problem with paypal blocking payments to South African accounts case caused by the South African reserve bank. It does seem that there was a issue between them, but thier issue was about not letting South Africans send money out of the country. Paypal and the SA goverment sourt that out back in 2005, when they lifted the ban so that SA citizens could register accounts again.

Whats sad to me id what would someone like Elon Musk say about this, one of the co-founders of paypal... If it wasnt for him, non of the paypal staff would have a job today. The irony though with him is that HE IS A SOUTH AFRICAN!!!!

Economically, we one of the few countries were not one back crashed with the economic disasters in October 2008

So, basically I want to know from a paypal representative, why South African's cant have accounts in which we can receive money aswell. 

And please, not the standard response of "we are forever trying to expand.. blaah blahh..." I have heard that for 4YEARS NOW!!!

(ps, I dont see any reasons for this post to be removed, however, if it is, I will just be back again, cause I want answers!!! If it is removed, at least email me then with the answer!!)

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12
Solved

LyndaB
New Community Member

Have a look at this!

http://www.finextra.com/news/announcement.aspx?pressreleaseid=32977

I am so glad. My cousin is in Cape Town and has been battling breast cancer for 2 years and I can send some money to help. I don't trust the mail to SA - too much gets stolen.

An Ex-Pat of SA living in Texas, USA.

Login to Me Too

rmbo47
Contributor
Contributor

I think the big problem with PayPal and South Africa is that country's currency restrictions.  When South Africa changes it's stance on letting people take money out of the country things might change. Until that happens, PayPal cannot operate there. It's not up to PayPal to change South Africa's monetary policy.

Login to Me Too

rmbo47
Contributor
Contributor

And after reading the link in the post above mine, it looks like they have.  Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.