Credit card payments are accepted on personal accounts

drdave
Contributor
Contributor

I sold my first item on eBay a few weeks ago and received an email from Paypal starting with "You have received a pending credit card payment. However, to reduce credit card processing costs for accounts that do not pay fees, the ability to receive credit card payments is limited to Premier and Business accounts."

This is not true.  Over 6 months ago a post in this forum from a Paypal employee said the message was not true anymore and was being sent by "coding gremlins".   https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Receiving-money/Can-I-receive-credit-card-payments-on-a-personal...  (I would have followed up on that topic today rather than sending a new post but the interface didn't allow it.)

Surely the "coding gremlins" should have been fixed by now.   I complained about it to Paypal customer service.  After 7 messages in which I was promised a response within  72 hours, including twice I had to remind them because I didn't get any response, I finally got a call from Carol who said that credit cards can be accepted on personal accounts and she would make sure the emails get stopped or fixed.  I hope she succeeds, because I think there are probably a lot of people who are upgrading necessarily, to Paypal's benefit and not their customer's benefit.   Carol did say that I should use a Business or Premier account if I were going to sell a lot of items, but I don't expect to be doing that.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Mad2012
New Community Member

I got the same message today after my first sale on Ebay. Looks like they still have not got the bug fixed. I was just wondering what I am supposed to do next since the payment is already showing as a pending payment. Thanks for the information.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.