Not sure if its a scam..Need help before going through with it

knewby
Contributor
Contributor

I had a guy email about an item im selling on Craigslist. He says that he will pay me more than what im asking for the shipping of the item because he can not pick it up( thats what im worried about). But, he is wanting me to send him a paypal payment request so that he can pay through paypal. I dont know if that is dangerous or if there is any way he can get my info from that. Can someone help me to figure out if this is a scam or if there is ANY way for him to somehow make it look like he payed me, only to find out AFTER i send the item that there is no money there.

Thank you,

K

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

A legitimate buyer won't offer to pay more than you're asking - it's a scam.

Scams depend on you're being greedy to work.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

A legitimate buyer won't offer to pay more than you're asking - it's a scam.

Scams depend on you're being greedy to work.

Login to Me Too

knewby
Contributor
Contributor

I had a feeling it was. Thats why i just decided to delete the email all together. Thank you though.

Login to Me Too

janellnwy
New Community Member

I just had an almost identical situation and thought it sounded kind of fishy. BUT i got a payment request from paypal saying that once I ship the item my money will be put in my account in 48hrs. Not really sure what to do...

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

@janellnwy wrote:

I just had an almost identical situation and thought it sounded kind of fishy. BUT i got a payment request from paypal saying that once I ship the item my money will be put in my account in 48hrs. Not really sure what to do...

That's a scam, too and the email isn't from Paypal.  Forward it to spoof@paypal.com and they'll confirm that.

Go to the "fraud" discussion board and you see your letter repeated about 1,000 times, wor for word.

DON'T send the item.

Login to Me Too

RWallace21

So, is there anything I can do to try to get the money or package back if I already sent it?

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Well, if you act quickly enough, sometimes there is.

Go to the Post Office IMMECIATELY and ask them to recall the package - take the Delivery confirmation number along, you'll need it.

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

The only way you can recover your parcel is if you sent it tracked i.e special delivery, and then you will need to request the police recover it. You will unfortunately not be permitted to request it yourself, once you have sent it it is no longer yours, but the persons name who appears on the delivery label.

Sorry.

Login to Me Too

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Sorry thougth I was posting on the UK boards!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yeah, it doesn't work that way in North America, but it's good to know anyway.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.