AM I BEING SCAMMED

FIRSTTIMER2929
Contributor
Contributor

I have an add on craigs list, motorcycle 9000.00 Am tagged by a guy who says he is at sea and wants to bye it for his son. And he will transfer money to my pay pal account,With his credit card, And have his pick up agent come and get bike. First thing is he hasn't even requested a photo of the bike, just doesn't feel legit to me. I have not responded to his request yet. What do you all think?

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

savannah2717
Contributor
Contributor

I am encountering the same problem. I put my mustang up on craigslist and got a response within the hour. Without seeing any pictures or requesting any information about my car, he offered to buy it for the full amount. He did say he wanted to make the transaction through pay pall and make sure the payment cleared before he got the car, but the situation is almost identical: He is military overseas right now and wants to buy my car as a "promise gift" to his boss. He wants to pay me in full, and after it clears he will have his pickup agent come pick up the car. I  have no idea if it is legit, but it concerns me that you have the exact problem I am having. If anyone can offer advice for us it would be great.

Login to Me Too

bassman59

Of course it's a scam.

Login to Me Too

savannah2717
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I am convinced. I called paypal last night and the guy said he had heard it before, and to further convince me I got another near identical email immediately after reposting with pictures. Do not reply to these emails either without an alias as they can bombard you with emails and crap. Didn't happen to me, thankfully. good luck!

Login to Me Too

FIRSTTIMER2929
Contributor
Contributor
Spoiler
Thanks for the info, I emailed this person back, and told him This deal will not happen, As I smell a Rat

Login to Me Too

l_boylen
New Community Member

oh my same thing is happening with me, I am selling tires and rims on craigs list got alot of emails also an email from paypal that money has been received but not in my account!!!

Login to Me Too

WickR1

If you're selling on Craigslist, ALWAYS MEET THEM. NEVER take paypal, or checks to ship something.

Login to Me Too

hs7611
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email, lady is in us but wants me to send laptop to nigeria said she made a payment to my account but nothing is showing up even as pending. Also, the emails i gotfrom paypal sayid copyright 1999-2008. Pretty sure they would've update that the past couple of years.

Login to Me Too

richmondhokie

ABSLOUTLY!!

I had the same thing, and knowing better - I "agreed" - she claimed she sent the funds - to which absolutly checked my paypal account - and found no funds.

She replied and said that Paypal takes 24-48 hours to post the funds - "they have to verify the funds first" - this is a lie because the very nature of paypal is that the funds are automatically verified/transferred.

She asked me to send it because it was a "rush" before her son in Nigeria left the country.....I told her that I would only send it once the funds appeared in my account.

2 days later - I checked again - and had not received any money......(no - really?)  I emailed her back again (I really have fun doing this) and told her that the funds had never appeared - never heard from her again....(no - really?)

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.