Need to Patch Order but Order Already Completed?

dhermann
Contributor
Contributor

Friends,

I'm trying to implement the solution described in this post:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/REST-APIs/How-do-I-get-a-TransactionId-from-an-OrderId-using-the...

So I added the PHP PayPal SDK on my server-side code to PATCH the order after I get the information back:

protected function patchOrder($orderId, $invoiceId)
    {

$client = PayPalClient::client();
        $request = new OrdersPatchRequest($orderId);
        $request->body = [  ['op' => 'add',
                                'path' => '/purchase_units/@reference_id==\'default\'/invoice_id',
                                'value' => $invoiceId] ];
        $client->execute($request);
    }

But my current client-side implementation completes the transaction so I get the fatal ORDER_ALREADY_COMPLETED error. I have tried various solutions like passing commit=false and intent=authorize into the script tag and actions.order.create() method but I still can't seem to intercept it before it completes. What am I missing?

• Definitely don't want to interrupt PayPal Express Checkout workflow
  • Need to retrieve shipping information and orderID to save to my database server-side, then I have a ID I'd like to assign to the order's Invoice ID as the original post suggests
  • I'm fine to only authorize the payment then capture the funds on the server-side but I'm not sure how to stop the transaction from completing client-side, the button still reads "Pay Now" even when I alter the script tag or pass in a parameter.

Please don't link me to https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/integration-features/update-order-details/ , that's the page I'm referencing but something is malfunctioning.

paypal.Buttons({
                createOrder: function (data, actions) {
                    return actions.order.create({
                        purchase_units: [{
                            amount: {
                                value: amt.toFixed(2)
                            }
                        }]
                    });
                },

commit: false,
                onApprove: function (data, actions) {
                    return actions.order.capture().then(function (details) { // also tried actions.order.authorize() but no luck
                        if (details.purchase_units.length > 0) {
                            $("#orderid").val(details.id);
                            $("#amount").val(details.purchase_units[0].amount.value);
                            $("#address1").val(details.purchase_units[0].shipping.address.address_line_1);
                            $("#address2").val(details.purchase_units[0].shipping.address.address_line_2);
                            $("#city").val(details.purchase_units[0].shipping.address.admin_area_2);
                            $("#province").val(details.purchase_units[0].shipping.address.admin_area_1);
                            $("#zipcd").val(details.purchase_units[0].shipping.address.postal_code);

}
                        $("form#payment").submit();
                    });
                }
            }).render('#paypal-button');

Thanks,

Dan Hermann

MUUSA Webmaster

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

freedrull
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever figure this out?

I believe I'm having a very similar issue.
The `details` I get back from `actions.order.capture()` always reads ` intent: "CAPTURE", status: "COMPLETED"`.

I have similar server-side code to patch the order, I don't get an ORDER_ALREADY_COMPLETED error, I get this one:

`INVALID_REQUEST", message="Request is not well-formed, syntactically incorrect, or violates schema.`

I haven't been able to tell if my request is actually invalid, or if I'm just getting this error because the order is already completed. 

I am passing commit=false to my script tags, I am pretty sure intent authorize is not what I want, I just want to complete the payment after the user returns to my site from paypal, not days later.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/checkout/integration-features/auth-capture/#

Login to Me Too

freedrull
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed a few syntax issues, and now I'm definitely getting the same ORDER_ALREADY_COMPLETED error.

There must be a way on the client to capture the order without completing it, but I'm just not seeing it.

Is there a different js method to call other than actions.order.capture(), or should that not be called at all?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.