Underpaid Postage?

jori1979
Contributor
Contributor

I have been selling and shipping and using Paypal for I would guess 20 years. I have NEVER had an issue with not weighing or measuring correctly. Today I get an email saying I owe for underpaid postage. This is a package that was sent and delivered at the beginning of December. They are saying the weight is correct but the dimensions are wrong. They are saying the package was 4 inches longer and 5 inches thicker than I claimed. There is no way. The BAG i shipped it in couldnt even stretch to 11 inches. Im just so confused. I already paid $16.34 in postage and they are asking for another $18.51. If I have to pay this I basically gave away what the person purchased. I messaged Paypal thru their system since I dont see a way to email, lets see how long it takes them to reply. I cannot print any postage labels until I pay this postage discrepancy. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

TheNICHELady
New Community Member

Same here, just received two separate emails stating I owe for underpaid postage.  
I am very accurate and always err on the side of overpaying shipping rather than wondering if the post office scale will be an oz more putting it into the next rate.
How do we dispute these charges?!

Login to Me Too

jori1979
Contributor
Contributor

I sent a chat message. I dont know what else to do other than that.  I need to send a package so I may have to just go ahead and pay it and hope they reimburse me if they decide i didnt owe the extra money. $18.51 is quite a discrepancy for the few inches of package they are claiming i put wrong. They are saying it was 11 inches thick, I had 6. The bag i used wouldnt even stretch to 11 inches so I dunno how this will be handled. 

Login to Me Too

jori1979
Contributor
Contributor

I heard back from paypal. They said I have to go thru the post office if I want to dispute it. Im sure that will be done fast! LOL  I think I amjust gonna have to take my losses and pay it and move on. 

Login to Me Too

gj-mom
Contributor
Contributor

Call your post office. If they don't have any thing in their records of any problems with your package then take it back to Paypal. 

Login to Me Too

gj-mom
Contributor
Contributor

Keep after Paypal until they make it right. 

Login to Me Too

jori1979
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I disputed it with the post office thru the email that paypal provided and I received a refund from the post office this morning. 

Login to Me Too

f4dstudios
Contributor
Contributor

Same issues here - use PayPal + USPS to create shipping labels basically every day over the last 8+ years and have only had this issue maybe once or twice (and those times it WAS my fault).  I got 3 separate emails a few minutes apart the other night due to underpaid postage - but I'm 100% sure the packages had the correct postage on them.  I even went back and put in the exact measurements and weight of the products I shipped to those 3 locations and guess what... they came up with the price I initially paid in postage.  Two of the emails stated I only owed about $5 in total for the two packages but the first email stated I owed an extra $18 (when the initial shipping was only $16!).  Extremely frustrating to say the least. 

I paid the postage and am chalking them up as business expenses since I need to continue creating shipping labels.  Hope this doesn't continue since contacting the Post Office and waiting for their response seems like a waste of time unfortunately 😞

Login to Me Too

jori1979
Contributor
Contributor

I sent out a package that I paid $16.34 for postage then they said i owed an extra $18.51. They were saying my package was 11 inches thick. The bag i shipped it in would not even stretch that far! But like you i needed to buy and print postage so I chalked it up as a loss and just paid it. I did email the post office but I doubt that will get me anywhere. 

Login to Me Too

gj-mom
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not going to chalk it up as a business expense and let them keep getting away with it. I used Pirate Ship to create my labels instead of Paypal. Works great and if Paypal doesn't make it right then they lost a customer. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.