"Looking for Pay in 3? Unfortunately, Pay in 3 isn't available for this purchase" - Why???

Fowler1966
Contributor
Contributor

I have recently tried to make several payments to merchants using the Pay in 3 option. I have been able to use Pay in 3 with each of these merchants in the past. I am now getting this message:

"Looking for Pay in 3? Unfortunately, Pay in 3 isn't available for this purchase"

I have not missed any payments and have always fully paid off the previous Pay in 3 plans that I have been on.

For some reason, Paypal likes to keep secrets from its customers and is refusing to tell me why they have decided to impose these restrictions on my account. Does anyone know if Paypal have ever actually published the criteria that they use to assess people's eligibility for Pay in 3? There are no issues with my credit rating and it is genuinely a mystery to me why this has suddenly changed.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fowler1966 

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cshelp/article/what-is-pay-in-3-help463

PayPal Pay in 3 is not available for certain sellers and goods. We may also decide not to offer PayPal Pay in 3 as an option based on our internal checks.

Also ... PayPal Pay in 3 is available on eligible shopping cart values between £30 and £2,000 GBP.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
22 REPLIES 22
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fowler1966 

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cshelp/article/what-is-pay-in-3-help463

PayPal Pay in 3 is not available for certain sellers and goods. We may also decide not to offer PayPal Pay in 3 as an option based on our internal checks.

Also ... PayPal Pay in 3 is available on eligible shopping cart values between £30 and £2,000 GBP.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

ShintoMcGinto
New Community Member
That’s not an answer to the question being posed. PayPal can never answer the question of why pay in 3 randomly disappears. Not a single answer I’ve read from PayPal about it simply amounts to a non answer. They need to get a grip and just start answering the actual question
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ShintoMcGinto 

Its a factual answer, you can use it when offered, you can't if its not..........end of.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

TTTTTSSSSS
How can that be ? I was send to paypal from the retailers payment options. Why should they send me here if 3 installments are not an option. I could directly pay there from my card! It is a problem with paypal. I tried to pay 3 payments i was offered them as a option this time but after clicking the button it said i cant choose it i obviously failed the algorithm. So i paid directly it was not that big amount around 40 pounds! So the retailer got my 40 pounds directly and paypal says i have no credit!????????????????
Login to Me Too

EdT67
New Community Member

You didn't answer the question asked...end of!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EdT67 

Doesn't bother me, never needed to use it.

Maybe you try answering the question if you think you can do better?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Temp20240307G
I have the same problem pay in 3 no longer offered never missed a payment etc. I suppose it like any business if paypal make nothing out of you in interest etc. Your no longer good business.
Login to Me Too

cainshiro
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having this issue since May 2023. It vanished and I was not able to use it since. I completed like 30 payment plans without any issues before. I made several calls to PayPal, contacted them through their messages centre and it got me nowhere. They keep saying they checked me account and I'm eligible to use it and asked me to: use other merchants/stores, clear web browser cache, remove all debit/credit cards and then add them back, use different web browsers and nothing worked. It's clear their automatic security system is broken because it's preventing good customers from using this feature. When will this be addressed? How many more people will be denied to use it?

I have never missed any payments, I have excellent account history since 2006 and my credit score is above average.

Login to Me Too

Nobody83
Contributor
Contributor
I've had the same issue and was told to check back in a month I've paid for over 100 items and never missed a payment Bit unfair as I've relied on this for a while I was told by PayPal because of my credit score And they note I was a good payer. Take note I've got me self 2 mobile phones from sky (not PayPal) s23 ultra that are over 1000 each I'm starting to think they check ya affordability now I am very disappointed at this loss and PayPal should look at a better way of showing us or credit and balance if that's the case
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.