Address Change Option Covered during Checkout

ScleraMarker
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen a massive spike recently in the number of people giving the incorrect delivery address and having to contact me afterwards to change it, leading to the hassle of cancelling the order.  Now, people are saying that there is no option during checkout to even change their address.

I've gone through the checkout process myself and find that where the delivery address is shown, PayPal is now making a pop-up speech bubble with payment options appear over the "change address" link so that people can't see it.

I'm assuming that this is just an oversight, rather than an attempt to reduce the number of seller protection case PayPal has to cover, but it's diving me and my customers mad...  But I have no idea how to actually request that this be changed - there is no need for this payments option thing to be a pop-up over other important text like the delivery address. What is the best way to get PayPal to actually fix this?paylateroptions.jpg

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_RachelK

Hi @ScleraMarker,

Thank you for your post!

I am sorry to hear you an your customers are experiencing this when trying to checkout. I know it must be frustrating. This pop up window is just letting your customers know that they have an alternative way to pay using PayPal. 

If they don't want to choose this option, the best thing to do would be to close the window before completing the payment. 

I do understand how this may be causing some issues for both you and your customers. I will make sure to escalate your feedback to the relevant team for a review. 

In the meantime, if you have any further concerns, please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Support

I hope this helps!

- Rachel 

Login to Me Too

ScleraMarker
Contributor
Contributor

@PayPal_RachelK  

Well obviously the customers need to close the box and press change. I can't realistically put a huge message on my website cart saying "hello customer, please make sure you click the X on the PayPal "pay later" popup if you decide you want to pay by Paypal and need to change your address, or alternatively you can change your default address in your PayPal account!!"

People these days spend only seconds scanning a webpage. During checkout they don't see the mostly obscured address. They assume that the address input will come on the next page and then when they click to the next page the purchase is complete. 

This problem occured with 21% of my orders in the last 24 hours.

Here are some examples of emails and a PayPal case opened against us literally just this morning:

"I placed an order without being given the ability to change my shipping address."

"I just placed an order 14443, but it’s to the wrong address. I didn’t get any chance to change it."

"paypal put an old billing and shipping address but I don't want it to go there".

What this causes:

1) customers to have to email and ask for an address change, which means either

a) cancelling the order (annoying)

b) getting failed deliveries (annoying and I have to pay for reshipping or refund if too late)

c) changing the address without cancelling (annoying and losing seller protection)

2) cases like the above to be opened against me, which:

a) negatively impacts my dispute limits leading to higher fees

b) causes customers to actually accuse us of scamming them, because they think we just took their money without offering the ability to change address

These benefit PayPal and cause pain for your customers. It's PayPal either:

1a)  Intentionally aiming to make more money off customers through chargebacks, avoiding seller protection and higher dispute rate fees

b)  Making a terrible user interface by covering the delivery address and "change" link at checkout. 

Simple solution to help your customers:

1) Add a simple checkbox to confirm it is the correct address.

2) Better highlight the address, put the lines of the address on separate lines rather than 1 long line and make the popup text at the top of a page rather than a popup that obscures key aspects of the checkout process.

Please ask this to be changed as a priority as it's costing me, and I'm sure many others, money.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.