eBay Checkout with PayPal fails : Fix/Workaround

WebSnail
Contributor
Contributor

I've posted this as a reply to one other post but figured it might get missed so posting is as a new thread just to be sure it gets seen... Hopefully it'll help a few folks avoid the mess I've been dealing with (along with others) for the past few months.

Symptoms:

Trying to use Paypal to pay on eBay checkout fails after inputting username and password with one of the following:

• Pop-up/over window closes and you find that Paypal is not selected (Seems to affect 2F authentication)
  • Pop-up/over window closes and you find Paypal and Paypal Credit options greyed out with an error message "PayPal isn't available right now. Please select a different payment option"

The Problem:
Something is blocking the script from writing back to the same pop-up/over window that you login to Paypal in. It's almost as if the script closes the window early (when you complete the initial user/pass login) and then tries to respond to the window it just closed, slams into a virtual wall and slides "gracefully" to the ground before ignoring the whole thing.

The Workaround/(Fix-ish):

1. Go the eBay checkout as normal and get to the "Pay with..." option
  2. Select "Paypal" (no idea if this works with Paypal Credit btw).
  3. Wait for the pop-up/over window to appear.
  4. Look for the address bar at the top of the window starting "https://www.paypal.com/webapps/...."
  5. Right click on it (it "should" select the whole address but if it doesn't, right click it and then click "Select All")
  6. Choose "Copy"
  7. Open a new tab/window in your browser and paste the copied address to the address bar then hit enter/return/go
  8. You should now see a login form as normal
  9. Proceed as normal and hopefully you should find that the login completes its initial login along with any 2 factor authentication.
  10. It should then take you back to your checkout page where normal service with Paypal should resume with the option selected and "Confirm and pay" ready to go.

Further Info:

This method worked on the following system setup:

• Windows 10 64 bit
  • Chrome browser span>
  • Malwarebytes installed
  • Paypal business account
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

debdoesmalice
New Community Member
So I have to use web browser and my app is essentially fubar? Great 😕
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.