Fraudulent charge to my bank account through PayPal, but does not show up on my PayPal..?

DiStep
New Community Member

Just noticed a charge of $22.27 to my bank account via ACH that is labeled as "ORIG CO NAME:PAYPAL CO ENTRY DESCR:INST XFER SEC:WEB IND ID:MICROSOFT ORIG ID:PAYPALSI77" but does not show up in my PayPal transactions.

I know I didn't make the payment as I have nothing set to automatically charge from my account and I didn't buy anything...

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

DiStep
New Community Member

Edit: False alarm.. I made a purchase a day ago that my entire PayPal balance couldn't cover, but I had refunded it immediately thinking that it wouldn't have hit my bank account for the left over balance. Frankly it did hit, so now I have to wait for the refund...

My apologies for the impulsive post. Smiley Sad

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

DiStep
New Community Member

Edit: False alarm.. I made a purchase a day ago that my entire PayPal balance couldn't cover, but I had refunded it immediately thinking that it wouldn't have hit my bank account for the left over balance. Frankly it did hit, so now I have to wait for the refund...

My apologies for the impulsive post. Smiley Sad

Login to Me Too

smfforkev
Contributor
Contributor

This just happened ( 7/25/2018) to a small business for whom I do the accounting. I noticed that several other people in this community forum have had this issue. You cannot report it thru the Paypal Resolution Center as there is no associated activity in Paypal. When you call Paypal ( yes it takes ages!) they say it is not their problem; it is someone pretending to be Paypal.

I just reported this to the FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION Consumer Assistance Reporting site. In this case it was $6.99 but I was furious that these scammers have gotten away with this and have not been caught yet. I would encourage anyone who has had this problem or has it in the future to report it thru the same FTC Consumer Assistance reporting process. You need to pick "scams" and "imposter scams". Some questions don't apply so leave blank ( they don't tell you this unless you chat with them). If we all report it, maybe something will happen and the scammers will be caught. I have no idea how they got the debit card number but it could be a random number generator that strikes gold once in a while. You would think that Paypal's fraud detection unit might have some interest in preventing someone using their name!

Login to Me Too

patricias1
Contributor
Contributor

This literally happened to me 2 days ago! A mysterious charge for $295.00 on my bank account appeared from "PAYPAL *TRICK714 #822632501720 PURCHASE <removed> SAN JOSE CA" and it was 1,000% NOT me.

There is no activity in my personal PayPal account, I've already been in contact with the bank so they cancel my card & I've been on hold for 45 minutes waiting to speak to a second representative at PayPal. I've already changed a million passwords I have, this is getting frustrating.

Login to Me Too

smfforkev
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry I got the name wrong. Its the FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION COMPLAINT ASSISTANT web site. This is obviously still happening. Here's the link

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

BE SURE TO REPORT IT AS IF THEY GET LOTS OF REPORTS THEY MIGHT FIND THE SCAMMER. I find it reprehensible that Paypal have no interest in finding someone who is fraudulently using their name.

Is it just me or is it difficult to find where you can start a new post on this community? I can do replies but I have yet to find the "new post" button.

Login to Me Too

xanderbark
New Community Member

I have a charge $48.82 on my credit card.  I expect it is for Weisailing Network as they advertised toilet cleaner on facebook.  The entry did not go through the real Paypal so I can't seem to get my money back.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.