safe to buy

TonyM11
Contributor
Contributor

hi

a seller on ebay has give me his email address through ebay messenger to pay him directly, is this safe?

Ebay 'pay now' is giving me a Checkout error- seller cannot receive payment message, paypal is closed at this time so he/we cannot contact them directly.  Seller does seem legit.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TonyM11 

You would have buyer protection if you used the goods/services option BUT it would be better for the seller to send you an invoice or money request FULLY DESCRIBING THE ITEM YOU ARE TO RECEIVE.

Sounds very odd he is just telling you his email address and i would be very suspicious as to why he can't use Ebay checkout if he is listing on Ebay.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TonyM11 

You would have buyer protection if you used the goods/services option BUT it would be better for the seller to send you an invoice or money request FULLY DESCRIBING THE ITEM YOU ARE TO RECEIVE.

Sounds very odd he is just telling you his email address and i would be very suspicious as to why he can't use Ebay checkout if he is listing on Ebay.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

TonyM11
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, yeah you are right, it is unusual, the fact hes communicating through ebay assured me to a point, i am quite sure the guy is legit, but then these ppl always seem that way im sure.... i know the rushing in buying approach is likely to get me burned.  Once he has contacted paypal tomorrow hopefully everything will be resolved, but if it isnt i will get him to request money describing item through paypal.  if this means i'm covered i have nothing to lose 🙂

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@TonyM11 

Well paypal buyer protection can never be a 100% coverall, so you need to read up on it and then risk assess your transaction, buyer beware remember.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.