Why does it take so long to receive a refund back onto my debit card?

C_lene97
Contributor
Contributor

I paid for items early February. I paid via my debit card through the PayPal website. It shows that my refund was "completed" a couple of days ago, yet I can't transfer the money back to my bank account. I looked up the article about how long returns take and it said 30 days! What in the world is going on? A refund should NEVER TAKE THAT LONG. Don't show that the refund is completed when it isn't. Someone from PayPal needs to respond to this. I'm so frustrated and irritated that it's going to take 30 days to get my money back when the company just gave it back? The most I've seen is 15 business days. Why does it take so long? I just really want my money back.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@C_lene97 

30 days is card industry standard amount of time to allow for crediting a refund. It stems from the days before all this technology when we have to wait 30 days for the next paper statement to arrive in the mail. It may not take all of 30 days but that's what they generally tell people so they won't be in a panic if they don't get a refund right that instant. You'll get your money. If the refund is marked complete, then PayPal has processed your refund so keep eye out on your card account for the refund to be posted by your card issuer. You can sign up for email alerts for refunds with your card issuer.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@C_lene97 

30 days is card industry standard amount of time to allow for crediting a refund. It stems from the days before all this technology when we have to wait 30 days for the next paper statement to arrive in the mail. It may not take all of 30 days but that's what they generally tell people so they won't be in a panic if they don't get a refund right that instant. You'll get your money. If the refund is marked complete, then PayPal has processed your refund so keep eye out on your card account for the refund to be posted by your card issuer. You can sign up for email alerts for refunds with your card issuer.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

cagoldlash
Contributor
Contributor

a bunch of bs.  It has not always been that long.  I will not attach my cc to Paypal again.

Login to Me Too

Jess_thecat
Contributor
Contributor
Correct, I buy and sell on eBay and before when.i.got a refund ( albeit not received one in.about 18 months) my money was available instantly in my PayPal account since.it is linked to.my.bank & card. SoI agree, this is total BS what is happening that refund shows completed but money is nowhere to be found for days on end. Suspect PP keeping the money while earning interest.
Login to Me Too

KSGS
New Community Member
Exactly. I’ve unlinked my debit card from PP. Industry standard to receive your cash refund is NOT industry standard. I smell a lawsuit brewing.
Login to Me Too

NM1231
Contributor
Contributor

It does seem to be very fishy on Paypal's part. I had a similar issue. I purchased goods via Paypal goods and services paying the extra fee in order to protect myself and the vendor. It turned out the vendor had misspelled her name on her paypal email and so the money had gone into ether.  We realised this almost immediately and i requested a refund quickly as payment was still pending. 

But the thing that's fishy is it says refund complete on my paypal page whereas there is no sign in my bank account and I cannot believe it takes 30 days in this day and age

Login to Me Too

DaveSchaub
Contributor
Contributor
Agreed. It's all electronic and immediate. They hold millions of dollars in limbo and use it for cash flow and interest
Login to Me Too

SN12345
Contributor
Contributor
I think in the current situation when instant transfers can be done, that Paypal are being unfair and unprofessional- I dont believe any excuse they have can justify delays (of more than 3 days)! Come on PayPal pull your socks up and sort this out - it's just not acceptable!! You HAVE the funds, so stop the delay and get it back to customers as a priority.
Login to Me Too

Tex260Z
Contributor
Contributor

It is so they can invest your money in the "overnight" money market, small gains on billions of dollars of YOUR money.

Login to Me Too

audsleylanae
Contributor
Contributor
I tried to cancel my order as soon as I made it because when I checkout out it didn't show the product name and I could tell something wasn't rite but trying to get threw to customer services is like impossible. And now they won't even message me back and I will never use PayPal again.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.