Refunds

StephenVR
Contributor
Contributor

I received a refund from a vendor and a two days later there was an automatic payment for the same amount to the same vendor. I checked the automatic payments and the vendor is listed there. Has the refund I was given been payed back to the vendor?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor
Paypal CREDIT the seller in advance and then wait for your funds to transfer from your bank account etc. So the refund must have been issued just before the initial payment left your bank account.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rich

Hi StephenVR,

Thanks for reaching out to the PayPal Community for assistance. I'm happy to provide some advice.

From what you have described, you have been refunded but the payment appears to have been initiated afterward. 

If the payment was made with a bank account, PayPal may have sent the funds as an instant payment and waited for your bank to pay us back. If a merchant refunds an instant payment, the transaction with your bank would still clear but the money would go to your PayPal balance before being automatically withdrawn to your bank. 

If this payment is associated with a billing agreement or a scheduled payment, it may be a new charge. For example, if you have a Netflix subscription and you request a refund for the month of January, Netflix may refund you for that payment but the payment for the Month of February would process afterward unless the billing agreement is canceled.

Here is a link to assist you in locating your refund: https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/where-is-my-refund-faq1212

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.