PayPal.me and cross-border payments

plaidchocobo
New Community Member

Hey all. Brand new PayPal user here.

I'm in the U.S. using a Personal account. If I set up a PayPal.me link and share it to facilitate easy payment from people in Canada, will they be forced to pay fees in order to send money this way? Will I? I know that standard PayPal transactions include transaction fees for different currencies, but with the .me link, the sender doesn't need to have a PayPal account (right?)... so will they get dinged by their bank?

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

BarbNow
New Community Member

Please don't expect people in Canada to make payments to you in PayPal. PayPal is the worst cross-border payment platform ever.

Here's why.

I'm in Canada and was trying to pay someone in the US from my USD account in a Canadian Bank. When I make payments within Canada, I always get a choice of which account to use to make the payment.

That option to select your payment source is not available for cross-border transactions. Even though PayPal had access to my USD account, it chose to make payment out of one of my CDN dollar accounts, and a closed one at that! And they refuse to answer my requests for redress for the totally unnecessary conversion fees. I've never gotten out of the BOT circus.

Best to have people use Transferwise.com or nowadays some banks have a Global Transfer option which is good for longer term relationships as you need detailed banking info to make the transfer, but once you do that, it's a breeze. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.