My payment to a friend was refunded without my requesting it

Vic_in_Long_Isl
Contributor
Contributor

Last night before bed, I intentionally sent a payment to a friend in a foreign country, accepting the PayPal charges and the currency spread. This morning, I see that 2 minutes after sending the payment, received an email from PayPal saying my payment was refunded at my request before the recipient could access it. I wanted my friend to have the money and I had not requested a refund, so I sent another payment, again accepting the PayPal charges and the currency spread. How did this happen?? PayPal does not allow disputes of refunds, and I do not want to dispute the original payment that was refunded in case something else becomes messed up.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Vic_in_Long_Isl
Contributor
Contributor

It turned out that my friend initiated the refund. My confusion was triggered because PayPal said, incorrectly, that I had requested the refund:

Hello, [your name]

[Your friend] refunded [amount] from your purchase on July 5, 2021.

You requested the refund before the [amount] was debited from your bank account.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

Vic_in_Long_Isl
Contributor
Contributor

It turned out that my friend initiated the refund. My confusion was triggered because PayPal said, incorrectly, that I had requested the refund:

Hello, [your name]

[Your friend] refunded [amount] from your purchase on July 5, 2021.

You requested the refund before the [amount] was debited from your bank account.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Vic_in_Long_Isl 

As you haven't said which country you sent the funds to then sadly can't advise.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Vic_in_Long_Isl
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to my question. I had already answered it and not seen the Accept as Solution button previously. There is a defect in the PayPal system of notification of refunds where it says incorrectly that the sender requested the refund, when the recipient initiated the refund.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.