My payment is on hold/pending. Am I being scammed

AlliseQ
Contributor
Contributor
Hi a few days ago someone wanted to buy something from my gumtree, ofcourse I accepted and we sorted that payment would be through PayPal. However my payment has been on hold ever since and and I’m not sure what to think. I’ve read all the information on the help centre but it’s not really given the answers I wanted. I’ve been reading the posts people have put on here about similar things and that they haven’t still received there money even after the 21 days, so I’m wondering how long does it really take and when will I get my money. I’ve heard adding tracking information may help but I’m unsure of that too as I read a post on scams and that PayPal wouldn’t ask you to do that because it’s giving your information away and things like that. I’m really not sure what to believe any more. I just want to know when and will i get my money, what if I add tracking information and the person scams me by saying they haven’t the item when they have, could they just click a button and they’ll get there money back or will I still get the money. I’m confused and really need help. I don’t want to send this item without having the money first and I’m just really not sure what to do. Can someone help fast please. Thanks
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AlliseQ 

As long as the funds are SHOWING in your paypal balance then yes tracking will get it released more quickly.

Scams are when the funds are NOT showing and the scammer tells you to email them the tracking number before funds are released....and they of course never are.

Read the link for more information.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/why-is-my-payment-on-hold-or-unavailable-faq1987

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Gonzini
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a similar problem i think, though they're telling me that the payment is pending from their bank account.
After 4 days no money has appeared in my paypal account.
They have told me today

"Upon further investigation, the money has moved from Barclays pending to PayPal pending! Maybe some more activity will happen tomorrow!"

Very strange and set the alarm bells ringing....

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AlliseQ 

As long as the funds are SHOWING in your paypal balance then yes tracking will get it released more quickly.

Scams are when the funds are NOT showing and the scammer tells you to email them the tracking number before funds are released....and they of course never are.

Read the link for more information.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/why-is-my-payment-on-hold-or-unavailable-faq1987

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.