Is this a scam? Camera sale on gumtree

Skurok81
Contributor
Contributor

I'm selling a camera and lens on Gumtree, total value £360, had a WhatsApp response almost straight away saying they'd pay the asking price via PayPal and pay for recorded delivery. They also gave me an email address to send a PayPal invoice to and said they'd transfer the cash immediately upon receipt of the invoice. They say they're buying it as a gift for their daughter but it just seems a little odd they don't seem that interested in the condition of both items (normally with DSLRs and lens you want to be pretty thorough in checking the gear). Am I being paranoid? The items are priced up competitively, but not that cheap so there wouldn't be any profit if they were a reseller. Any thoughts? Thanks on advance. Dan Edit, the email address looks legit.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Skurok81

SOUNDS LIKE THIS SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

They don't quibble on cost and often say its for a gift for a relative.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal (saying they have paid the invoice).....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

They also 'sometimes' threaten legal action...have a laugh at that one and ignore it as its rubbish.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Skurok81
Contributor
Contributor
That was my original suspicion, but the address to post to is in the UK (forgot to put in, a residential area in Chester) and they seem pretty insistent on paying asap? I've never sold via PayPal before so this all seems a little strange to me!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Skurok81

Don't forget that for paypal seller protection you have to send the item to the registered address of the paypal account holder, so he could be trying to get you to send to another address and then when he files for non receipt of item you would not have trackable proof of delivery to HIS address but only to his DAUGHTERS address so you would lose.

Also if you are going to risk it make sure the funds are SHOWING in your paypal balance first.

Also send an invoice with a COMPLETE description of the item to cover yourself as much as possible for 'item received but not as described' disputes.

But keep in mind that scam.

Good luck, post back and let us know the outcome.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Skurok81
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks, I passed on the buyer in the end and had a cash buyer turn up this afternoon for it! Thanks again for the advice.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Skurok81

Cash, always best  Smiley Happy

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.