I sent money to the wrong person

Anthony_Dan
Contributor
Contributor
I am after sending money to the wrong person and it was a big amount... any way i can solve it?
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Mejoare
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Anthony_Dan ,

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

We are sorry to hear that you have paid the wrong person. We would need to check on the status of the transaction. If it is still unclaimed, we can still have this canceled since basically it has not been claimed or received yet. 

I would suggest for you to contact our customer service through chat so that they can take a look and see what options we have since this is something urgent, we want to make sure this gets resolved. You can contact them by logging in to your Paypal account, go to Message Center/Contact Us and an option to chat with a representative will be available. 

Stay safe.

Login to Me Too

amethyst01
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi Anthony_Dan,

We thank you for reaching out to us. 

In addition, if the payment status is Completed, you need to ask the recipient to send you a refund. You’ll find the recipient’s contact information on the Transaction Details page.

From your PayPal app, here’s how to find the recipient's information:

1. Tap See Activity.
  2. Tap the payment in question, and scroll down.
  3. Tap Contact [recipient] to contact them and ask for a refund.

If after contacting the recipient, you don’t receive a refund, please reach out to us via email:

1. Tap the Settings icon at the top right.
  2. Tap Inbox.
  3. Tap the blue pencil icon to send us a message (select Disputes and account limitations).

From your computer, here's how:

1. Click Activity at the top of the page.
  2. Click the payment in question.
  3. Locate your recipient’s contact information, then contact them and ask for a refund.

If you don’t receive a refund, you can open a dispute with PayPal within the timeframe noted in the transaction details. Here’s how to file a dispute:

1. Go to the Resolution Center.
  2. Click Report a Problem.
  3. Select the transaction you want to dispute, and then click Continue.
  4. Read the information on the screen and click Begin.
  5. Follow the instructions to finish opening your dispute.

Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.