Help required - Confirm Shipment Received

CryptoGod
New Community Member

I purchased a device from an online phone dealer in South Africa (https://www.oukitelstore.co.za/). The way I understood it is I pay for the device including shipping, customs, and delivery and they will take care of everything. On checkout on their site, they PayPal option didn't work well and I had this error show up: "Receiving country does not support the transaction currency." I contacted the store's help via Whatsapp and I was told that they would create an invoice and send it to me for payment on PayPal. I got the invoice, I paid the money and everything seemed set to go.

The device was shipped from China (apparently) and it is en route to South Africa.

This morning I had a message on Whatsapp from them:

"Morning, can you help us releasing funds from hold we need to start preparing pre-clearance of shipment with custom."

This stuck a bit odd to me cos as far as I know there is no mechanism in PayPal to withhold any funds from being sent to the seller. I even read up on how this works and I see on PayPal that the status "Completed" means "The transaction was successful and the money is in the recipient's account." My PayPal clearly shows transaction completed.

I relayed this to their customer support and they come back with this message: "Your payment passes our threshold of $1200, and with that case sender has to release funds for us." I reiterated to them that there is no such option on my end and as far as I am aware the payment has gone through. Then he sends me a screenshot of the invoice that shows on their side that they have a "Get Funds" option and he says I need to release it by clicking on "Confirm Shipment Received".

This set off some alarm bells for me and I said that that doesn't make any sense. Why would I confirm shipment received when I haven't received it yet? Makes no sense to me. But he kept insisting that I need to do it or they will not get paid and that the shipment will be held up at Customs waiting for release.

What makes matters worse is I have been given two completely different tracking numbers, one listed on the PayPal invoice itself and another on the message from their support. They are both with different couriers - one with Aramex and one with DHL - and one of them actually shows a local courier listing that was already delivered to and from within South Africa.

I am not sure how to go about this now and would like some advice.

I tried contacting PayPal but couldn't get through to them. Should I open a case in the Resolution Center?

Any help is appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Jenny

Hi @CryptoGod,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with a purchase. As mentioned in your post, if you see the transaction marked as completed, it means the payment went through. We would recommend confirming the received item, only when it happens.

It seems that the item has been shipped and delivered. If you can't find an agreement with the seller, PayPal Buyer Protection considers if you are eligible for a full refund, if you buy something that never arrives, or if it arrives significantly different than described. If your transaction qualifies for PayPal Buyer Protection, you are covered for the full purchase price plus the original shipping charges. The claim for a not received purchase aims to verify if the seller sent the item to the correct address and if the product was delivered.

You can find more information here

If you need assistance with the filing of the claim, you can also contact us on Facebook or on Twitter.

Hope this helps,

Jenny

Se hai trovato utile questa risposta, lascia per cortesia un Kudos o accettala come soluzione. Il tuo contributo nel forum aiuta altri utenti.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.