Funds withdrawn twice from my account after an initially cancelled then redone send

bippycakes
Contributor
Contributor

Friday, August 3rd I attempted to send funds to a friend who'd made me a loan. I emailed her to let her know to look for notice of same. She emailed me back and said that she uses a different email account for all banking-related transactions, so I immediately cancelled the initial send (this was just a few short hours later), and then resent the funds to the preferred email address. The initial transaction showed as having been properly cancelled, so I figured I had no reason to worry whatsoever. Lo and behold, yesterday, August 6th, I receive a notice from hulu telling me they can't process my monthly fee due to insufficient funds. I check my bank account and sure enough, Paypal has withdrawn funds from my account twice and then not returned the 1st withdrawal, so now I am in the red in my bank account by over $200! And I'm being binged by my bank for every bill that comes in until Paypal returns my funds! I spent close to 4 hours on hold today all told only to eventually be told that they didn't have the money but that my bank does. I have spoken with my bank twice today and checked my balance repeatedly and the money is definitely not there (my bank is small and very easily supplies me with every and all details I need on the double - I NEVER get the kind of corporate  you're just a number on a list that we can put on hold for 4 hours treatment from them). On top of all this, Paypal tells me that EVEN tho the funds WERE WITHDRAWN DIRECTLY FROM MY PERSONAL BANK ACCOUNT, they WON'T be returned to my bank; rather, they will be returned to PAYpal and I will THEN have to go through another few banking days wait to transfer the funds OUT of Paypal in order to get them back in my BANK account where they belong, NOT my PAypal account!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARg. someone help me.  Is this not just a way for paypal to profit from my having had a legitimate need to cancel and re-do a transaction?? I've done everything I was supposed to do as a customer. I feel it's now their turn to do the things THEY're supposed to do; Like: GIVE ME MY MOOLA! 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bippycakes

You can cancel a transaction but not a processing payment which starts to process the second you pay.

When you cancel those funds can't do a u-turn > they have to process through to paypal who will then either return them to your funding source (if you paid with a debit or credit card), or credit your paypal balance (if it was funded from your balance or instant bank transfer), but that takes a few days and sometimes up to a week.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.