Canceling a Payment

anthony999
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I accidentally submitted a large order to a clothing retailer this afternoon (Saturday, August 3rd).

The issue is that there is not a "Cancel Payment" button on the transaction.

The payment status is still "Pending" and says "This is a temporary authorization to make sure your payment method will cover the payment. Your payment method will be charged when Wrangler completes your order." My checking account is the primary source of funding and my debit card is the back-up method.

Is there any way I can cancel this payment? Unfortunately the retailer's customer service department does not work weekends so I am unable to reach them to have them cancel the order on their end before Monday, and they typically fulfill orders quickly and before customer service hours resume.

Does anyone know if calling PayPal tomorrow would be be beneficial? Are the PayPal customer service representatives able to cancel a payment of this kind? If I transferred all of my funds from my checking account that is linked to my PayPal account to my bank savings account, would that prevent the payment from being processed? Or would it still go through because my debit card is the back-up method? Also, would I be charged NSF fees?

Thanks,

Anthony

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@anthony999 

When you pay a company (rather than an ebay seller or individual), then it is often pending until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.
If they don't process that order and capture the pending payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment.

So you would need to contact the person / site you purchased from to cancel that order and request that they don't capture the pending payment.

You can only cancel a pending payment if its gone to a non existent email address and has a cancel option as the payment can't ever complete.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

anthony999
Contributor
Contributor

Correction: the order was placed "Saturday, August 1st", not "3rd". 

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@anthony999 

When you pay a company (rather than an ebay seller or individual), then it is often pending until that company processes your order and captures the pending payment.
If they don't process that order and capture the pending payment then the pending status times out at 30 days post-payment.

So you would need to contact the person / site you purchased from to cancel that order and request that they don't capture the pending payment.

You can only cancel a pending payment if its gone to a non existent email address and has a cancel option as the payment can't ever complete.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

anthony999
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for your reply. Since that is the case then unfortunately the payment will probably be processed since I cannot reach the merchant til Monday. I am certain they will fulfill the order before I am able to. Return shipping is not free and I’ll likely have to send back multiple boxes of clothing. Am I correct that the PayPal “return shipping on us” only covers up to $30?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@anthony999 

You may be in luck as paypals returns policy has changed recently but only for transactions made AFTER the policy was made so go to legal bottom of paypal pages and read the policy updates on return shipping.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.