Integrating buttons into my website 2024

SandyHHK
Contributor
Contributor

I'm just getting started with the copy and paste buttons, what information does PayPal pass to my website when a customer makes a purchase and how do I capture it. Thanks.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

MTS_Jennifer

Hi @SandyHHK 

Thank you for posting to the PayPal Merchant Community. If you setup an Instant Payment Notification listener on your website, and you add the listener URL to your PayPal Account, any transactions processed through the Pay link and buttons will generate an Instant Payment Notification.  While you cannot manually change the notify_url, yet, it does offer a way for your website to get a communication about the payment.

The information that is provided to your website is the standard IPN information. The buyer name, address, email, item purchased, amount, and etc to name a few of the details that are passed into the instant payment notification.

The reason this works is because IPNs are generated for any transaction that is processed in your PayPal Account, if the setting is enabled.

Here are the details of setting up an IPN listener:

https://developer.paypal.com/api/nvp-soap/ipn/

This is how to enable it in your PayPal Account:

After you log in, follow these instructions to set up your listener:

1. Log in to your PayPal business account at www.paypal.com.
  2. Hover over your name and then click Account Settings from the dropdown menu.

3. On the Notifications page, click the Update link for the Instant payment notifications item.
  4. Click Choose IPN Settings to specify your listener's URL and activate the listener.
  5. Specify the URL for your listener in the Notification URL field.
  6. Click Receive IPN messages (Enabled) to enable your listener.
  7. Click Save.

Thank you,

Jennifer

MTS

PayPal

Login to Me Too

SandyHHK
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the response, but I take it I can't do this using the standard buttons? Is that true?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.