Information on HTML form fields that can be used with pre-populated paypal checkout button

aanders50
New Community Member

Hello, I made a small html form that submits to https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr with pre-populated fields, it all works as expected with the only issue being that there seems to be a character-limit on the "item_name" field (~127 characters) and so I am trying to see if there are other fields I can use for a longer print-out.

Here is an example of the form (with private information omitted)

<form name="_xclick" id="paypalForm" action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick">
<input type="hidden" name="business" id="business" value="mypaypalemail">
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" id="currency_code" value="USD">
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" id="item_name" value="">
<input type="hidden" name="amount" id="amount" value="0">
<input type="image" src="paypal.png" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!">
</form>

During the submit button phase I populate the "item_name" field and then it sends the user to PayPal to finish/approve the transaction, however, if my text in "item_name" looks like the following (the following is the Form Data in the XHR call for ITEM_NAME)

First Name: John | Last Name: Doe | Email: myemail | Discord: MyDiscordID | Total: $21.00 | Custom Dino Color x 5 ($7.50) | Dino Full Imprint x 5 ($7.50) | Select Dino x 3 ($6.00) | $20 BONUS ACTIVE

It will get cut off in the PayPal purchase details section to something like 

First Name: John | Last Name: Doe | Email: myemail | Discord: MyDiscordID | Total: $21.00 | Custom Din

I am having trouble locating documentation on what other field names are available for form submission and their character counts so that I can get the entire message somewhere on the user's purchase details. Or there is a chance I am doing something completely wrong, as I do not uri/l encode the post and maybe I should be doing that instead?  Just trying to get this to fully work and I would guess I would never go over 250 characters.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Here's a list of all the standard variables you can use in this type of integration.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

angelleye
Advisor
Advisor

Here's a list of all the standard variables you can use in this type of integration.

Angell EYE - www.angelleye.com
PayPal Partner and Certified Developer - Kudos are Greatly Appreciated!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.