Check-Out Loop After PayPal Login

CharlotteK1
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone (: 

Since last Friday we have the following problem in our shop: When purchasing a subscription products (Recharge) and after logging into PayPal, that Checkout starts an endless loop when the customer actually wants to proceed with the purchase. Some background info: 

* This loop ONLY occurs for subscription products, which is why I thought it must be connected to Recharge.
* We did the Recharge Checkout Integration on the 22nd of August
* On the 30th we still got new subscriptions in via PayPal Express 

* Multiple customers over all kinds of devices have complained about this issue and we can also replicate it.
* I've been in contact with Recharge, Shopify Plus, different external developers and they are all not able to give me an indication of the cause of the problem. 

Unfortunately I can't upload a screen recording so here roughly what happens before the loop:
1. I put a subscription product (it only occurs for subscription products) into my card
2. I add my address and proceed with PayPal Express.
3. I log into PayPal, it connects, I am back at Payment-Page of the checkout were I click "Check the purchase" and then "Buy now"
4. After clicking "Buy now" I get redirected to "Check the purchase" and so on... this is the loop, so I never get to actually purchase the product.

If anyone knows this issue, had it before, I am happy about any input or insights. 

Best

Charlotte

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11

Brauzz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

We have the exact same problem on our shop, also since last Friday. We work with Bold subscriptions instead of Recharge but apart from that everything is identical. I am kind of relieved that we are not the only ones facing this issue but I hope that there is a solution?
Neither Shopify, nor PayPal, nor bold subscriptions seems to be able/willing to help. 

Login to Me Too

CharlotteK1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

okay, so it does seem to be related to Shopify or PayPal. And it is also ONLY occuring for subscription products? That seems super odd to be caused by PayPal, I would imagen that a problem with PayPal would have an impact on ALL orders via PayPal, not just subscription orders. 

Login to Me Too

Brauzz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, 

Yes indeed, only subscription payments are affected for us and it also started last Friday. Paypal technical merchant support is already not answering since 3 days I just opened a second ticket with them. Shopify says its something on Paypals end. Bold subscription says its something on Paypals or Shopifys end as they have nothing to do with payment gateways and checkout. Quite frustrating...

Login to Me Too

CharlotteK1
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, the exact same situation for us as well. Shopify & Recharge are lost and pointing towards eachother and PayPal.

The Login to PayPal also works fine for you, it is the click for the final purchase that starts the loop, correct? 

Since Shopify and PayPal are the 2 things that connect us, it must be an issue of one of them. I am also in the chat with PayPal, no answer to my technical ticket as well. 

Login to Me Too

Brauzz
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, our problem is 100% identical. I think now we can only wait for PayPal to answer and hopefully answer fast

Login to Me Too

CharlotteK1
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe good to know, we have a BI agency working with us, and apparently their Shopify clients also experience various issues with their cart currently. I also found this: https://piunikaweb.com/2022/09/02/shopify-users-unable-to-checkout-stuck-in-cart-loop/

Login to Me Too

CharlotteK1
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, we might found a quick fix for this issue. Our developer texted me the following:  "i activated the express checkout in the cart page instead of using it in the checkout. for somer reason.. paypal is broken in the checkout.."

This way the PayPal Express checkout works for subscriptions again! But we will keep all support tickets open, to solve the big problem. 

Login to Me Too

Brauzz
Contributor
Contributor

Let me know please if anything moves on your support ticket. Putting paypal in the cart is sadly not really an option for us. Its the 3rd working day since we created the ticket and still nothing. 

Login to Me Too

CharlotteK1
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, It did move, but it is Shopify! They had a recent update in the checkout, which is not really working out. I am still in contact with this Melanie, if you want to give me your email address, I would be more than happy to cc you in my answer to her and mention that you experience the same issue in your checkout. 

CharlotteK1_0-1662705219034.png

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.