Confirm PayPal Mobile - Not receiving SMS text message to confirm phone number!!!!

tomgibson
Contributor
Contributor

I try to link my mobile number to my Paypal account but I never receive the confirmation SMS text message that they say has been sent..  My phone number is entered correctly..  My phone number is set to "mobile" in my profile preferences..  I click the "Re-Send" button but I never receive the SMS text message, so I can't enter my confirmation code !!!!    I see alot of members are having the same problem but their posts are not getting any replies besides "make sure your phone number is entered correctly"  or  "make sure your phone number listed in your profile is set to MOBILE".    HELLO PAYPAL!!!!!   It's the right number and it's set to mobile.!!!   So why aren't I getting the text message from you so I can enter my confirmation code?????????    And by the way, my carrier is T-Mobile and I have UNLIMITED SMS MESSAGING on my plan...  Oh, AND my account is paid up to date.!!!!!!!   So please explain to me why I am not getting the confirmation code sent to my mobile phone????

Login to Me Too
32 REPLIES 32

tomgibson
Contributor
Contributor

I have a NOKIA 6133 - My phone is not receiving the text message from paypal that consists of a comfirmation code that

you enter inside your paypal account to verify & activate your cell phone for PayPal Mobile.  This allows you to send &

receive money in your paypal account via your cell phone.  I found out several things today after being on the phone

with paypal and t-mobile (even got the 3 of us together on conference call).

First of all:  Your cell phone number can only be listed in ONE paypal account or you will not receive the text

containing your confirmation code because the paypal system will not recognize which account your cell phone should be

married to for sending & reciving money.  As a result, the message just keeps "Looping" in paypal's system until it

eventually fails or dies.  Paypal can verify this by looking into the action on your account to see that is is looping

because it sends an error to them on their end.  They can also tell if the text message was sent successfully.  So I

deleted my number from all but ONE of my paypal accounts.  Should be golden, right?  Not so much.... I still didn't get

the confirmation text from paypal after trying again!!!!!! and again and again!!!!!  So I called paypal back;

Paypal then told me I needed to have SMS or PREMIUM text messaging on my cell phone account, so I called t-mobile to see

what I had.  I have unlimited texting (which I already knew).  I also made sure there were no filters or content

blocking on my account.  T-mobile verified all filters and blocking was OFF & DISABLED and that I am completely free &

open to send and recieve all text & picture messaging...COOL right?  Then I asked t-mobile about any PREMIUM texting

settings for my account.  There is no such setting with t-mobile.  The text messaging through t-mobile is open for all

types of texting, even the type known as Short Code SMS, which is what you see on American Idol & others that tell you

to text "bla bla" to 55555.  T-mobile texting is completely set-up to handle 4-digit, 5-digit, & 6-digit Short Code SMS.

In short it's premium SMS by default.

All should be working without any issues, right??   Well I found out from Paypal that the code they send for the

confimation text is 6-digits.  T-mobile is equipped to handle this.... So, with unlimited texting, filters & content

blocking OFF, & full short code support, WHY can't I receive the text message from PAYPAL that contains my confirmation

code??!!???!!!!?

Can anyone tell me????????????  Is anyone else having this problem??

Login to Me Too

JeffBenedict
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I too am having the same issue.  I was able to get the confirmaiton code for the Security Key, but never have I been able to link up my smart phone w/ my account so that I can receive text messages of my statuses...etc...

Login to Me Too

vipermn
New Community Member

I am having the the EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Does any know the SOLUTION?

Login to Me Too

mqhandelman
New Community Member
I'm having the same problem. My cell phone (Verizon) actually gets a text message when I try to sign up for the mobile security key, but the text message just says that Premium Messaging needs to be enable to receive these texts. But I get text messages all day long from friends and family, and from my bank, too, when I go to log in there.
Login to Me Too

h2o
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing happened to me - never got SMS message.

What I did was open PayPal Mobile App on phone and created a PIN, confirmed PIN, then tried logging in with PIN I created and it worked. Haven't tried sending or receiving money yet, so we will see.

Login to Me Too

h2o
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I think I figured it out!

You need to register for a Security Key for your cell phone. Once that is active, you can receive the SMS message!

Login to Me Too

JeffBenedict
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I have a pin on my Android phone.  That doesn't help.  So,how do I register for a Secuirty Key for my phone?   The place that I see the security key requires me to enter that everytime I login to the site... and that **bleep**.  I did get the Security Key text, but no other SMS text from the Activation screen.

This is crazy.

Login to Me Too

h2o
Contributor
Contributor

You are right - real pain in the a??!!!

After I got the Security Key, I found out I had to get a new one every time I logged in to PayPal! I will probably deactivate it if I am going to be accessing it alot.

I managed, like you, to enter a PIN number on my phone and am able to login to PayPal Mobile with the PIN I created, but I have not tested to see whether I can send and receive money via the Mobile App.

Maybe we could send each other a dollar and see if it works!?!   🙂

Login to Me Too

tomgibson
Contributor
Contributor

This issue must be a big one for PayPal because I have not received any support from them since I started this thread.  Keep sharing your experiences so we can hopefully help lots of other people that are having the same problem.  I still cannot confirm PayPal mobile on my account because I cannot figure out why I'm not receivng the confirmation text msg to my phone.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.