HELP Refund not clearing seller’s bank

MisterC1988
New Community Member
Hello everyone. I am posting this for a few reasons. One, I am tired of being put on hold with PayPal for way too long only to speak to someone that doesn’t understand English very well. Two, in my 15+ years of being an eBay and PayPal user I have NEVER encountered this before. So, here’s the scenario: I win an auction on eBay for a phone that is listed as “unlocked”. After paying using PayPal credit, I request the IMEI. The seller says that after checking the IMEI himself, he realizes it can’t be unlocked. So, he sends me a cancel transaction request. I accept. He issues a refund. His bank denies the refund after being “pending” for over a week. I open an eBay case. He issues the refund again which cancels the eBay case. His refund is denied by his bank after over a week (same story). I open up a case with PayPal credit. He issues another refund which nullifies the PayPal credit case. I open up another case with eBay. He issues a refund, but his bank denies it again. It seems to be never ending and I’m tired of wasting time on this. The seller says the bank is seeing this refund as “fraud” and that since he has a negative PayPal balance he can’t effectively issue a refund. What am I supposed to do? I don’t see where I can open up a case on PayPal since it’s an eBay transaction. Thank you for your help 🙂
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MisterC1988 

The seller obviously withdrew the money from this sale to his bank or spent it so when he refunds, it is taken from his bank because he has no PayPal balance to cover the refund, on top of that, either his bank think this refund is (fraud? yeah right) or "fraud" because he doesn't have money in his bank to cover it so that is why his PayPal balance is negative because there is no money. If the bank think it is fraud, seller could have assured them it is not and to pay up but he didn't. Since you have opened a PayPal Credit (essentially a PayPal dispute) already and it closed, go to the Resolution Center and view the closed cases and see if you can reopen the original case. I think this seller is giving you the runaround, exhausting all recourses to be honest and avoid refunding you. 

Even if you are able to reopen the case and win and you can still be without a refund because there is no money to be gotten from this seller but PayPal will try get the funds but there is no guarantee. IF this seller gets new payments into his PayPal account, PayPal will deduct it or if this seller tries to buy something with a credit card, he will get charged for his debt IF he completes his payment. That is only if these things happen.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.