Suspicious email, not sure if it's actually from Paypal

KeviKev
New Community Member

Here's the email I received. Instead of clicking the link, I logged directly into the Paypay website and found no messages or alerts for me regarding this. I just want to be sure this email didn't actually come from Paypal. Thanks.

Paypal account
Supicious Transaction
Your account just make supicious transaction, We've temprary limited your account due o this supicious activity until this issue is resolved.

Here is transaction detail:

• Transaction date : June 09, 2018, 1:00 pm
  • Transaction amount : $35 USD
  • Transaction ID : GG3178523194EF4

If You didn't authorize this transaction please dispute transaction soon.

Please login to your account and provide the requested information to dispute this transaction before June 15 2018.

If we don't receive the requested information soon, We can't refund your money and your account may be closed without any notification.

Sincerly,
Paypal Inc
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KeviKev

If its a spoof, DO NOT USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/ text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email to ''cancel'' the transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2

If you log into your paypal account NORMALLY and nothing shows in your paypal account then that kinda answers the question really.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.