Suspected Phishing/Fake Emails

Ausworkshop
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all, hoping to get opinions on this one, see attached, I split the screen shot top and bottom halves. I've received it a number of times now so I thought I'd ring PayPal to find out more and see if they can 'help' (ignore the highlighter that's just how I found it in gmail after search).

• Everywhere I read about checking if it's Phishing it says PayPal will always use your real name to address you > they have here (unlike other fake one's I get)
  • It says it will usually have misleading links > I checked all the links in the email and they direct me to the correct URL's in my PayPal account if I am logged in on another browser window.
  • The email here says to ring the number for help from PayPal, so I do, I ring the 1800 number and it takes me through to PayPal
  • On the phone it says to get the code from my account, I do that, end up getting through eventually.
  • I speak to a PayPal service representative and she tells me they never sent such an email and never do, also that email used to send is not correct and PayPal never use it so I should forward it on to <removed> for them to check it out as it's not their department.

So here I am wondering why the hell I'm getting these emails, what would anyone gain from phishing like this?

It appears that PayPal are offering to help, just as they have done for this girl's business in the photo (making Jewellery)

So what's it all about?

Who made this ad? Was it ever a real PayPal ad?

Has anyone else got one and what are the scammers trying to do?

Has anyone ever received mail from this address?

Why can't they just block it through the servers?

I have enough trouble trying to get REAL customers to email me through SMTP from my website because it's all so over the top secure now yet someone like this is allowed to continue to send scam emails using this address year after year and my real name yet no-one can do anything about it or has even heard of it at PayPal?

Come on?

What year are we living in?
I understand there is a lot going on and it's hard for these large companies to get on top of it all but they need to put more resources in place, we have the technology, just block these idiots, don't let them continue to use any email address that contains the words <removed>.  Block them ALL except the legit ones.  I'm with Gmail for my business, I thought they would be better at stopping this by now but perhaps it's all too complicated for them in the mess that is the internet now in 2019.

<removed>

'reply to' says >  <removed>

Please see screenshots and let me know what you think.

phishing-paypal-Capture_LI.jpgphishing-paypal-2ndhalf-Capture_LI.jpg

I will get on here and let you know when I receive an email back from <removed>

wasted time on this so I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Ausworkshop
Contributor
Contributor

Well after all that my images were rejected anyway, even though I painstakingly removed all my personal details.

So here is the boring text only version, I give up for now, wasted enough time on this.

Hi all, hoping to get opinions on this one, see attached, I split the screen shot top and bottom halves. I've received it a number of times now so I thought I'd ring PayPal to find out more and see if they can 'help' (ignore the highlighter that's just how I found it in gmail after search).

• Everywhere I read about checking if it's Phishing it says PayPal will always use your real name to address you > they have here (unlike other fake one's I get)
  • It says it will usually have misleading links > I checked all the links in the email and they direct me to the correct URL's in my PayPal account if I am logged in on another browser window.
  • The email here says to ring the number for help from PayPal, so I do, I ring the 1800 number and it takes me through to PayPal
  • On the phone it says to get the code from my account, I do that, end up getting through eventually.
  • I speak to a PayPal service representative and she tells me they never sent such an email and never do, also that email used to send is not correct and PayPal never use it so I should forward it on to <removed> for them to check it out as it's not their department.

So here I am wondering why the hell I'm getting these emails, what would anyone gain from phishing like this?

It appears that PayPal are offering to help, just as they have done for this girl's business in the photo (making Jewellery)

So what's it all about?

Who made this ad? Was it ever a real PayPal ad?

Has anyone else got one and what are the scammers trying to do?

Has anyone ever received mail from this address?

Why can't they just block it through the servers?

I have enough trouble trying to get REAL customers to email me through SMTP from my website because it's all so over the top secure now yet someone like this is allowed to continue to send scam emails using this address year after year and my real name yet no-one can do anything about it or has even heard of it at PayPal?

Come on?

What year are we living in?
I understand there is a lot going on and it's hard for these large companies to get on top of it all but they need to put more resources in place, we have the technology, just block these idiots, don't let them continue to use any email address that contains the words <removed>.  Block them ALL except the legit ones.  I'm with Gmail for my business, I thought they would be better at stopping this by now but perhaps it's all too complicated for them in the mess that is the internet now in 2019.

<removed>

'reply to' says >  <removed>

Please see screenshots and let me know what you think.

Login to Me Too

Ausworkshop
Contributor
Contributor

try this cut version.

paypal-Capture.JPG

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.