Sent money as payment for something instead of friends/family

mjcole1973
New Community Member

Hi!  I accidentally sent my friend money as a payment for a service instead of a friend transaction.  How do I get it fixed so she gets the whole amount I sent?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Unfortunately you cannot change the option after it has been sent and received.   The receiver would have to refund the money to you.   PayPal will refund her transaction processing fees however, not the $.30 - PayPal charges 2.9% plus $.30 on the total amount of each transaction.   It may take a week plus for this clear up - once you get your money back, you can resend again but, make sure you choose "Friends and Family" and also ensure that you use the money in your PayPal Account balance or money from your bank account, that way you are not charged any fees.  ( If you use a credit card as the funding source, PayPal will charge you a fee.)

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

Unfortunately you cannot change the option after it has been sent and received.   The receiver would have to refund the money to you.   PayPal will refund her transaction processing fees however, not the $.30 - PayPal charges 2.9% plus $.30 on the total amount of each transaction.   It may take a week plus for this clear up - once you get your money back, you can resend again but, make sure you choose "Friends and Family" and also ensure that you use the money in your PayPal Account balance or money from your bank account, that way you are not charged any fees.  ( If you use a credit card as the funding source, PayPal will charge you a fee.)

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mjcole1973

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a “gift” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time. That is also why you would be unable to open a dispute apart from an unauthorised transaction (if your account was hacked and used without your consent).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.