Help!

_Jessification_
New Community Member

Hello everyone  - my friend owed me £1200 and I'd done a "request" money link to them  - and i've found out that PayPal have charged me $41! How has this happened  - what have I done wrong? I need that money back? 

Really appreciate your thoughts! 

Jess 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@_Jessification_ 

The ONLY time you don't get charged a fee is if you are sent a gift of money via the friends / family route.

However you did not give them your email address so that they could go to send money > family / friends, you sent a money request instead.

A money request is from a SELLER to a BUYER as payment for goods and so sellers get charged a fee.

A 'money request' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
An 'invoice' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
'Send money > goods/services' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
A 'business account paypal.me' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A 'send money > friends/family payment is a friends/family payment.
A 'paypal.me personal account' is a friends/family payment.

Your best option is to click on the transaction in your paypal account and use the 'refund' option at the bottom of that details page.

When you refund then the % part of the fee (highest) is refunded at the same time, just imput the full amount and it will be made up of part of that refunded fee BUT you would lose the small (lowest) 20p charge which paypal keeps as a processing fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@_Jessification_ 

The ONLY time you don't get charged a fee is if you are sent a gift of money via the friends / family route.

However you did not give them your email address so that they could go to send money > family / friends, you sent a money request instead.

A money request is from a SELLER to a BUYER as payment for goods and so sellers get charged a fee.

A 'money request' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
An 'invoice' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
'Send money > goods/services' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.
A 'business account paypal.me' is not a friends/family payment its a goods/services payment.

A 'send money > friends/family payment is a friends/family payment.
A 'paypal.me personal account' is a friends/family payment.

Your best option is to click on the transaction in your paypal account and use the 'refund' option at the bottom of that details page.

When you refund then the % part of the fee (highest) is refunded at the same time, just imput the full amount and it will be made up of part of that refunded fee BUT you would lose the small (lowest) 20p charge which paypal keeps as a processing fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.