False/scam e-mails

Esterhuizen
New Community Member

I want to report this false/scam e-mail I received today. PayPal The security of your PayPal account is a top priority for us and we want to work together to help protect it. Dear Customer, Order Confirmation (Ref-RPL-589222-TR) Registration Payment Type Transaction ID 12-11-2020 PayPal RPL-589222-TR You have sent a payment of $519.99.00 USD From Your PayPal Account If you want to cancel this payment Or Approve This Payment Kindly Call us on <removed> As a security measure, we routinely monitor account activity to prevent fraudulent use of our customers’ accounts. We noticed some unusual activity on your PayPal account and are concerned about potential unauthorized access. Your PayPal account is being charged with $ 519.99.00 we Want to confirm that this Purchase Is made By You or Not And if you want to cancel this payment or approve This Payment Kindly call us on <removed> We need your help resolving this issue, and for your safety, we have temporarily limited what you can do with your account until you take action. Your PayPal account is being charged with $ 519.99.00 we Want to confirm that this Purchase Is made By You or Not And if you want to cancel this payment or approve This Payment Kindly call us on [Removed. Phone #s not permitted] What's going on? We noticed some unusual activity on your PayPal account and are concerned about potential unauthorized account access. What do I need to do? If you need help or have any questions, call us at <removed> Sincerely, PayPal Toll Free- <removed> U.S. Corporate Office Address: <removed> ALBION, NY, United States

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Esterhuizen 

Yep, scams been ongoing for years, glad you weren't caught out.

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email or by downloading an attachment, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.